Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 09:16 PM

Default Director Commentary, what level for original prog?

I recorded my first director commentary, and have been asked to lay it into the final mix, with the main mix turned down so the main focus will be the commentary. How low am I supposed to turn it? 10dB sounds about right, and this particular commentary has few pauses, and they are very short, so I don't think I would be required to mix it up and down between the gaps. What is the "right" way to do this?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Director Commentary, what level for original prog?

Quote:
10dB sounds about right,
Does it "sound" right???

Quote:
and have been asked to lay it into the final mix, with the main mix turned down so the main focus will be the commentary
Then why are you putting a number to it???

Use your ears, not the meter, what happens during high level parts??? Will 10dB be enough at the moment??
You need to ride the levels throughout the whole feature, as not to let the feature step on the commentary.

Is the mix LT/RT or stereo??? If you mix a commentary into an encoded LT/RT, and the surround flag is set
during the AC3 encoding that commentary will steer not only left and right but up and down.
You need to ask, then decide if you must open up the LT/RT and incorporate it into the surround's center channel.

Listen to a few DVD commentaries for yourself first.

Like James Cameron's on Titanic (Shameless plug)