Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 PM

Default UAD Apollo Twin as Standalone DSP with PT HD?

anyone know if the UA apollo twin can be used as a standalone DSP for a PT HD Native setup?

i'm using an Avid OMNI and PT HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 04-03-2014, 09:16 PM

Default Re: UAD Apollo Twin as Standalone DSP with PT HD?

Do you mean routing audio to and from the Twin's UAD processing the same way that you would use a UAD card or UAD satellite? This may be possible. I know it is with the Apollo.

But if that's all your doing, you might as well just get a UAD card or UAD satellite unit. Otherwise you'd be wasting your money on the other features of the Twin, which can not be used if you're using your HD Native system. For example, there's no way to integrate the I/O of the Twin if you're using the HD Native system.

Now if you want to use the Twin instead of the HD Native system as a portable interface, such as when you're on location with a laptop, then that might make sense. In that case, you would just use the Twin as your interface with the HD software.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:57 AM

yes i would like to use the Twin's UAD the same way you would a satellite or UAD card.

im happy with my I/O in my HD and am looking for a portable "on the go" interface with a laptop.

figured that if i can use the DSP with pro tools HD, its a better deal to buy the apollo twin instead of something like an apogee duet.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:48 AM

The UAD Apollo Twin should behave like all the other Apollo interfaces - the Apollo Console is always operational even if ProTools isn't up and the DSP is shared between what is used on the Console and what is called up by plugins within ProTools. I'm taking delivery of my new Twin Duo next month and should be able to investigate more in depth, but I believe that if you use it in conjuction with a ProTools HD/HDX system, you cannot bring audio from ProTools into the Console unless you run ProTools HD software without the hardware, i.e. using the Apollo Twin as your ProTools interface.

However, since the Twin features an optical input, nothing is stopping you from using the OMNI's optical output to feed up to 8 channels of audio into the Console, but you won't be able to pipe any outputs into ProTools since the Twin doesn't feature any digital outputs.

My plan is to use the Twin as a stand-alone FX box with my laptop and run analogue outputs into my main ProTools HD rig, and also as a mobile recording rig with up to 10 inputs using a Focusrite ISA 828 with the digital card.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:34 PM

I am using my apollo via thunderbolt for 2 functions. As a satellite processor and to play the audio from my computer from iTunes or sample preview as routed via sound preference panel. This supplements my HDX system nicely.

I hope this helps answer your question.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:22 PM

Yes, this will work (for any reasonable definition of will), but the question remains what eactly is your intent. Are you hoping to track through these plugins or just mix with them? One of the reason many folks want Avid HD interfaces is for their low latency and stability. Two things you may loose adding in this outboard DSP processing, an issue if you want to track with them (without using the UAD interface as the interface). You are adding a lot of complexity, OS/driver/software compatibility so check all this looks OK before leaping in. The real reason to get a UAD plugins is you really like some of their plugins, and they can be very good, but without that pressing desire I'd tend to avoid as much complexity as possible.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
... For example, there's no way to integrate the I/O of the Twin if you're using the HD Native system...
Wouldn't this be possible with PT Aggregate I/O?

I would like to use a Apollo Twin for guitar recording: Monitoring the guitar signal through the Twin because on my HD Native system I can only go allow as 64 with the buffer and this feels a little uncomfortable for tight playing...
Old 11-21-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Bird View Post
Wouldn't this be possible with PT Aggregate I/O?

I would like to use a Apollo Twin for guitar recording: Monitoring the guitar signal through the Twin because on my HD Native system I can only go allow as 64 with the buffer and this feels a little uncomfortable for tight playing...
HD systems will not aggregate with any other interface.

If you want to record/monitor through the Twin, you would need to switch to that as your interface, then switch back to HD Native for everything else when you're done.

But I'm also baffled that you feel a 64 buffer on HD Native is not quick enough. It's ridiculously fast for me.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
HD systems will not aggregate with any other interface.

If you want to record/monitor through the Twin, you would need to switch to that as your interface, then switch back to HD Native for everything else when you're done.

But I'm also baffled that you feel a 64 buffer on HD Native is not quick enough. It's ridiculously fast for me.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately switching the interfaces is not an option, since I have two HD 16 I/O which are wired to patchbays and a monitor system - so a change on the fly is not possible...

Regarding the buffer I was not quite clear: When I used the Scuffham amp simulation the 64 buffer is enough, but the other day I checked out the new (and pretty, pretty good) UAD Bluesbreaker simulation and things started to feel slow... Maybe it has something to do with the plugin's own latency? Anyway, playing was not so much fun timing wise...

So maybe a workaround would be, to route the twin's analog outputs to the HD I/O, route the twins monitor outs to my monitor section, mute the guitar channel in PT and in the monitor section mix the playback signal from HD I/O with the guitar signal from the UAD Twin. Kind of cumbersome and one more D/A + A/D conversion for the guitar signal...
Old 11-21-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Bird View Post
, but the other day I checked out the new (and pretty, pretty good) UAD Bluesbreaker simulation and things started to feel slow... Maybe it has something to do with the plugin's own latency? Anyway, playing was not so much fun timing wise...
When using UAD plugs in PT, you're subject to twice the buffer (out and back), plus UA's latency. You can try their "live mode" (little microphone icon in the UI) to see if that's any better.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.