Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 PM

Default Safe Firewall software for PC and MCs?

I just got the Transport, Mix and Control, they're great! But it was a real challenge getting them working on my win 7 64x system. Eventually tracked it down to ESET's firewall (and possibly even its spyware program). I have the MCs on their own ethernet port so you'd think I could just tell my firewall to totally ignore that port. But no matter what I try, it either completely blocks them being recognized or constantly pings them, making them lose their connections. So what are people doing about spyware and firewall software? Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 PM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Default Re: Safe Firewall software for PC and MCs?

It's complicated and I never bother because I have a Mac, but you can set each units to a static IP and then allow that IP from your Firewall.

Congratulation on your purchase! Hours of fun just learning it...
Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 PM

I tried that. Something about ESET (others are complaining), so just need find a replacement.

Yeah, I've had many, many controllers before but I'm really liking these! And they look pretty darn cool I must say.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:23 PM

I have had zero probs with "microsoft security essentials" on a win7 rig. It's a free DL and has been a very good experience for me from day one with my win7 rig. I just got an Artist Control and the install/update and now operation has been true plug and play...an unusual deal with a Win rig ;}=, but hey I'll take it any day.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 11-29-2011, 11:35 PM

So you didn't have to do any special settings? And this is with all it's features turned on?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpolcino View Post
So you didn't have to do any special settings? And this is with all it's features turned on?

Thanks
No special settings...however I had done some trouble shooting with my W7 network settings recently to get my Neyrinck V-control working properly, but IIRC I just made sure it was all default settings. Nothing was done to MS Security at that time...no exceptions or any other fussiness. I even have the Artist Control connected with the X-over cable to my ethernet bridge which then goes wireless from my studio to the router in my house about 60' away, so my setup is a bit more complicated than most...and it "just works".

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
I have had zero probs with "microsoft security essentials" on a win7 rig. It's a free DL and has been a very good experience for me from day one with my win7 rig. I just got an Artist Control and the install/update and now operation has been true plug and play...an unusual deal with a Win rig ;}=, but hey I'll take it any day.
security essentials is antivirus/antimalware software, not a firewall
Old 12-03-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
security essentials is antivirus/antimalware software, not a firewall
Good catch...you are so correct sir. The Security Essentials software is constantly updated, so in my busy brain I just autopilot responded that this was the question posted...my bad. I guess my Firewall is set to mild or off. I will have to check my settings to see if there's any further input I can give the OP. Obviously I don't have a problem on my network.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Old 12-02-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpolcino View Post
I just got the Transport, Mix and Control, they're great! But it was a real challenge getting them working on my win 7 64x system. Eventually tracked it down to ESET's firewall (and possibly even its spyware program). I have the MCs on their own ethernet port so you'd think I could just tell my firewall to totally ignore that port. But no matter what I try, it either completely blocks them being recognized or constantly pings them, making them lose their connections. So what are people doing about spyware and firewall software? Any advice?

Thanks!
You don't need a software firewall on your PC. If your cable/dsl modem is in front of one of those linksys/d-link/netgear routers, that is more than enough..