Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-19-2018, 12:42 AM

Default iMac 2017 / High Sierra / ProTools 12.8.3 ... the worst combination ??

Hello everyone,

Last week I bought a new iMac for my second studio (Sound Design for TV).
It's an iMac 2017 (non pro) 27" with Intel Core i7 4x4,2GHz, 40GB RAM, SSD and 8GB graphics card.
It comes with Mac OS 10.13.2.
I installed on it the latest version of ProTools HD (12.8.3) normally compatible with this version of Mac OS.

It's a really powerful machine and yet …

The result is very bad. The display on the screen is extremely slow. The level indicators are late, the time line with waveforms is jerky. Each manipulation (for example, a simple cross-fade) is very slow.
Can not choose a latency below 1024 samples otherwise an error message (CPU overload error) appears. Even with a simple session (8 audio tracks and a video track). Yet, the activity monitor tells me that less than 5% of the processors are used.

I followed the instructions given by AVID here. But it does not change anything.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...em_Preferences

Are other people in my case?

My other studio is equipped with a MacPro 2011 (4x2,8GHz). With Mac OS Sierra (and not High Sierra). Pro Tools HD (Native). In the last few years I've also experienced some slowdowns in Pro Tools display (but not as much as with my new iMac). I thought it was because my machine was too old. But that does not seem to be the case.

Even my 2012 MacBook Air (2GHz Intel Core i7) makes Pro Tools run better

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:29 AM

Default Re: iMac 2017 / High Sierra / ProTools 12.8.3 ... the worst combination ??

It has to do with the 5K screen. Try This:
Quote:

Thank you for contacting Avid Technical Support. Currently there is a Quartz Redrawing issue with Pro Tools and 4k and 5k displays. This issue is being prioritized with our Engineering team and they are also in touch with Apple, to help resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Currently, here are the recommendations given by Engineering and Apple for better performance:

1) BUILT-IN RETINA DISPLAY SETTINGS:
-> Choose: sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (away from the default), found here:
System Preferences > Displays > Color > Display Profile

2) QUARTS REDRAWING ISSUE with 4 and 5K monitors:
-> iMac 5k models, as per Apple:
-> Set to 2K for it to be smoother

3) Try the following on iMacs particularly 5K models (As per Apple):
->Disable Automatic Brightness

I hope this helps as our customer was dead in the water with that issue and is now back to work done.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 01-20-2018, 05:52 AM

Default Re: iMac 2017 / High Sierra / ProTools 12.8.3 ... the worst combination ??

Awesome!
The display is really better now!
You saved me !
Thank you veeeery much
Old 01-20-2018, 04:18 PM

Glad I could give back. The DUC has been great to with everybody being so helpful and nice here.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 06-11-2018, 01:58 PM

Hi there

I was wondering if you could tell me where one sets the Quarts Redrawing to 2k - I'm on an iMac pro 10 core and just find the graphics sort of sluggish.

Thank you
Old 06-11-2018, 10:22 PM

Wow, thanks for this information. Changing my iMac to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 made a huge improvement in the smoothness of the timeline and meters. I could switch back and forth from the default while PT was running and see such a difference.
Best tip I have seen and used here in a while.
PreSonus Faderport 16 and PreSonus Faderport 8
4 monitors - Neyrinck V-Control Pro
Focusrite Clarett 8PreX and Octopre Dynamic 96K 32bit
Vintage Neve 1073 and Sunset Sound Tutti Mic Pres
Old 06-13-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodlum View Post
Hi there

I was wondering if you could tell me where one sets the Quarts Redrawing to 2k - I'm on an iMac pro 10 core and just find the graphics sort of sluggish.

Thank you
+1

I'm wondering the same thing.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:45 PM

For those of you wondering about the #2 fix:
"2) QUARTS REDRAWING ISSUE with 4 and 5K monitors"

I think it's referring to the "Scaled" display settings

I'm on an iMac Pro 10 core with 5K screen and I clicked on scaled in display settings and then chose the directly left option that says "looks like 2048 X 1152.

After changing the settings described in the earlier posts it's like night and day how much better the ProTools gui responds.

It SUCKS to lose that much screen real estate because Avid can't get their **** together but damn it makes it WAY BETTER to edit in EVERY window in ProTools.

I'm running 10.13.5 and PT 2018.4.0.

I work 95% with VI's and lots of plugins and I got the new 10 core pro because I needed the horsepower and man does it deliver. Too bad I have to lose screen resolution because of bad programming.

Anyway, I was just about to drop PT and move to Ableton because of the laggy PT gui but these settings have definitely made me reconsider it now.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:10 PM

+1
Can anyone help on this?
Old 01-31-2019, 05:49 AM

Really not solved this yet. almost a year. only way I can make some edits is to put scalled resolution at the lowest possible on the imak 5k. all items became horrible big. but it is the only way to make editing waves smooth. profile to Srgb helps wit graphics of plugins and faders. but not with editing lag. come on avid. I´m now editing with a MacBook Air retina and no problem with this. how a more powerful machine cannot handle some graphics of moving waves and crossfades smoothly. this is urgent fix for all us owners of iMac 5k.