Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 08:03 PM

Default feature request - Plug-In button

When I hit the Plug-In button on the Command8, it always opens the last opened plug-in.

I don't know about other users but 99% of the time the plug-in i want to open is on the track that I have selected. So what ends up happening is I have to scroll through the long pop-up menu on the plug-in to get the right one. What would save me tons of time is to open the plug-in on the track/s that I am on. There'd still be some choosing between inserts a,b,c,d,e but you can't have everything.

I mean it's easier to say look at a track of let's say - dialog, click on it, then decide I want to EQ that with one hit of a button . . . instead of hit a button, open any old plug-in, check the name of the track the item you want to effect is on, scroll to that name in a long list . . .

I can't be the only one that thinks this is wrong . . .

Thanks, jim

P.S. if there was still a suggestion form I'd of put this there.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:43 PM

Default Re: feature request - Plug-In button

All you have to do is click on the plug-in insert in the mix window.... At least, that's what I do!!
Old 08-23-2006, 08:35 AM

Yeah, except that first you have to go to the MIX window, and then find the track.

I spend most of my time in the EDIT window with about 100 tracks of dialog,fx,and music
Old 08-24-2006, 10:32 AM

I am not sure I completely understand you. Are you wanting to be able to view a plug-in on screen just by using your C|8 or are you requesting to be able to assign plug-ins from the C|8?

You mention that when you hit the "Plug-in" button on the C|8 it opens the previously opened plug-in. In order to open any other plugin already assigned all you have to do from the C|8 is press "Insert", select which bank, A, B, C, etc, then press "Select" from whatever track on the C|8 shows the plug-in you want. If you aren't already viewing a previous plug-in onscreen all you have to do is press the "Plug-in" button and the newly selected plug-in appears. The "EQ" and "Dynamics" buttons at the top of the page also make this easier.

Maybe you already knew this and I just misunderstood you, or maybe this information will help...
Old 08-24-2006, 10:55 AM

Hi Kurdt,

Thanks for your detailed explanation . . . it helps a bit . . . mostly the EQ and Dynamics button.

I can't get your scenario of the Insert>Insert selection, Track Selection, Plug-In Button to do anything other than open the previous plug-in.

The EQ or Dynamics button works except that I still have to search for the track I want to select, and now the track names of course have disappeared, and you have to re-select the pan button to get the track labels back . . .

What I'm suggesting is so simple . . . your on a track in the Edit Window . . . 1 button, the Plug-In button opens the plug-in on that track. Granted you still have to decide which insert you're asking for, but that seems simpler than anything else I've seen.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:06 AM

It appears my C|8 is working differently than yours. It may have something to do with the PT's versions being run, I am on LEv7 and it appears you are running an v6.9 TDM system. Or it may have to do with the C|8 firmware.

You mention how the track names disappear when you press the EQ or DYNAMICS button, when I do so, the names do not disappear. Huh... I am going to think this one through
Old 08-24-2006, 11:13 AM

I believe I need to clairify my previous post as you were not able to do what I was.

In my step to have the "Plug-in" button open the newly selected plug in I stated the need to press the "Insert" button. The "Insert" button I am speaking of is the one on the left of the C|8, not the one on the top next to the EQ and DYNAMICS buttons.

However, the "Insert" button at the top of the page will show all tracks with inserts by illuminating those tracks SELECT switches. Press the "Select" button for the track you want and it will show all available plug-ins in the scribble strip, 1-5. It should still show the track name in the upper left, with the plugin names below. "Select" whatever plug-in. If not already viewing a plug-in, press the "Plug-in" button by the transport controls, you should see the newly selected plug-in.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:34 AM

I guess I need to update my profile . . . PTHD7.2 . . . I have had a frimware update early this year.

Sorry, you're right the EQ and Dynamics buttons don't change the track names.

I see now which insert button you mean, I'll see if I can get used to that. It still all seems to involve being able to identify which C8 track is associated with which track on the Edit Window. Once you select the EQ,Dynamics or Insert buttons all the Select buttons light up - so i no longer now which channel i'm looking for.
I'm used to using those Select buttons to associate tracks from screen to C8. I select tracks on the Edit window and then I can see which C8 channels I want. I guess I just have to figure out a different scenario than I've been using. I guess I'm more screen oriented than controller oriented. I've long ago figured everyone works differently . . .

Thanks,