Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2022, 01:30 PM

Default Solution For "Initializing Midi Engine" Freeze at Startup (Windows)

I have a Windows 10 laptop, running PT Ultimate 2022.7 with MTRX Studio and one HDX card. Post 2022.7, my PT Ultimate startup would get hung up when "initializing midi engine". It would sit there for three to five minutes before Pro Tools would resolve to open a session. I searched the interwebz of things for a solution, and read dozens of (mostly older) threads here on the DUC. Nothing would work. I finally saw a post on another site that offered this: in Windows, open Device Manager, click on view, show hidden devices; dozens of old, unused or disconnected devices appeared. I looked for any device associated with MIDI that I did not use, like some old controllers I got rid of years ago, and deleted them. I probably zapped about a dozen devices, hoping none was still needed to operate any of my MIDI devices.

It worked! Now the midi initialization takes about eight seconds. Hope this might help some of you with the same issue.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Solution For "Initializing Midi Engine" Freeze at Startup (Windows)

USBDeview freeware views any installed/connected USB device on your system
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

USBDeview is a small utility that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used.
For each USB device, extended information is displayed: Device name/description, device type, serial number (for mass storage devices), the date/time that device was added, VendorID, ProductID, and more...
USBDeview also allows you to uninstall USB devices that you previously used, disconnect USB devices that are currently connected to your computer, as well as to disable and enable USB devices.
You can also use USBDeview on a remote computer, as long as you login to that computer with admin user.

License
This utility is released as freeware. You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via floppy disk, CD-ROM, Internet, or in any other way, as long as you don't charge anything for this. If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in the distribution package, without any modification !

Disclaimer
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental, consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.

System Requirement
• This utility works on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, and Windows 11. Both 32-bit and 64-bit systems are supported. Windows 98/ME is not supported.

Known Issues
• In order to disable/enable USB items on x64 systems, you also must use the x64 version of USBDeview.
• The 'Created Date' column doesn't display correct values on Windows 7/8/Vista/2008.
• Some USB devices with bad driver may cause USBDeview to hang. In order to bypass this problem, you should turn off the 'Retrieve USB Power/Version Information' option:
USBDeview.exe /RetrieveUSBPower 0

Download - scroll to the bottom of the page where it says:
Download USBDeview for x64 systems
Available in many languages

Installer’s Read Me explains the Columns Description and icons

USBDeview Alternatives for Mac:
https://alternativeto.net/software/u.../?platform=mac
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 08-09-2022 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Read Me info added
Old 08-09-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
USBDeview freeware views any installed/connected USB device on your system
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
Thank you! So much easier using this.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:57 AM

Glad to help!
It is easy to use - thought I should add this to make it even easier:

After unzipping ‘usbdeview-x64’ on the Desktop, right-click on USBDeview Application and select ‘Properties’ - then left-click ‘Compatibility’ tab and tick ‘Run this program as an administrator’ then click ‘Apply’ button then click ‘OK’
Close the USBDeview ‘Properties’ box

Double-click the USBDeview Application then click the ‘Yes’ button

When you see the same Device listed multiple times, if it says ‘No’ in the ‘Connected’ column and ‘Yes’ in the ‘Safe To Unplug’ column, keep it listed on just one line (if you want to use this Device again), then while holding down ‘Control’ and left-clicking its remaining listings, click ‘File’ then ‘Uninstall Selected Devices’
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!