Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 08:51 AM

Default Protools runs CPU at 100% then restarts computer

Oh what a surprise more problems from a PC protools use. I run Protools 5.3.1 under Windows XP Pro on an AMD PC using DIGI001. My motherboard is ASUS a78nx-x with 512Mb of ram and 2.6 Athlon XP processor.

My problem is this. Whenever I open protools my CPU shoots to 100% usage and stays there. In the CPU monitor in protools it is shown as 0 but in the window performance monitor it is 100%. Then after varying amounts of time my computer completely cuts out and restarts with no warning. Obviously this is less than satisfactory. I recently completely reinstalled my whole operating system and moved the card to a different slot. No other cards are on the PCI bus. Only the essentials run (Logic, protools and that's it!). I use the DIGI with Logic and have no problems. To be honest I am really pissed off with the whole thing. I spent time researching what motherboard etc to use and have been really particular about my "audio partition" instance of XP. It just strikes me that Digidesign is the only company that catergorically fails to produce satisfactory software and hardware for PC users. The drivers are crap and I am constantly having to restart my computer because the DIGI001 drivers are moaning about something. Looking at this forum it seems that I am not the only one that should be pissed off with the crap products Digidesign produce for PC. The software is great to use when it owrks but every other aspect of the package is worse than badly written shareware.

Sorry for the language.

Stu
Old 02-20-2004, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Protools runs CPU at 100% then restarts computer

Quote:
and moved the card to a different slot.
Do you have these problems when the card was in previous slot?

My machine has only one slot where it works correctly. I do not know why.

Try to move the digi card to other slot.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:05 AM

Hiya

Yeah I moved the card to try and solve the problem but it didn't. I may try other slots if it worked for you.

Cheers

Stu
Old 02-23-2004, 10:16 AM

Go to control panels, system, advanced tab, performance, config, adjust to obtain the best performance and in andvanced options chek the background services
I'm pretty sure it will work
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins