Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2011, 12:48 PM

Default Mackie TT24 w/Digi 002 - SPDIF

Hello,

I've posted to this board in the past and appreciate how helpful others have been when I have questions. I'm back with a new situation and can use some assistance.

First, let me describe how I am using the TT24 and DS3232 snake and then with the Digi 002. I have the U100 card and the UFXII card installed in the board. The snake is configured to use in Analog.

In our studio, we use the board to both rehearse live and to record. I have instruments in channels 1 - 24 (electronic drums, two guitars, keys and bass) and two vocal mikes in channels 25 and 26. The ADAT optical I/O is connected to a Mackie HDR so I can record all the instruments live when needed. This is working well with no issues.

From the board, the SPDIF I/O is connected to a Digi 002 rack unit which, in the past, has allowed me to work with the instruments individually and tracking these for overdubs in ProTools without having to connect directly to the 002. This is now what is no longer working.

I checked cables for the SPDIF connection which are working. I determined that the output from the board to the Digi 002 is working by sending a test tone from the board and seeing that signal in ProTools in a record ready track. In the past, the instruments would also send from the SPDIF output but I can no longer get any signal from anything even though the test tone seems to indicate that signal is outputting properly.

I may have mistakenly changed or not set the Digi 002 to accept SPDIF but if so, why would the test tone be getting through?

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated on how to fix or debug this further.

Thanks to all for any input.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 06-29-2011, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Mackie TT24 w/Digi 002 - SPDIF

Paul:
The TT24 is not one I know diddly about, but was the tone generated by an internal oscillator in the main output section, or was it sent through a channel strip?

If the mains, that might explain why the path to the 002R is OK, but not the channels.

If the channel strip, are the other channels assigned similarly? I assume that would be to the 2 track main, but as I said....

A far as the PT/002R, have you checked the PT I/O section Input and Output sections? If there's any doubt, I suggest going to all tabs (Input, Output, Sends, Inserts) in I/O and default them all. As you were reading tone, I assume that the clocking must be OK, but I just said "assume" and you know what that means....

It might also be helpful to know what version of PT you're on, what machine, etc. (like in the Help Us Help You sticky), and what intervening events between the last successful and first unsuccessful attempts.

B
Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 AM

B,

Thanks for your input. Yes, the tone was generated by an internal oscillator from the main output and not a channel strip but each channel is assigned to L/R so I was assuming that signal should be getting to the mains as well.

I did check the PT I/O and believe I have this properly set up but I need to check this again. Still seems odd that the test tone would get through if the PT I/O is incorrect. As you suggest, I will try going to each tab and defaulting them.

My studio rig is still an older G5 PowerMac so I am using PT 7 there. I do not recall doing anything different from the last time I was successful in seeing an instrument signal from the TT24 in PT.

I appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 06-30-2011, 01:39 PM

B,

I figured out the issue. It was a combination of input settings on the Digi and output settings on the TT24.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Cheers,
Paul