Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-15-2021, 06:57 PM

Default Korg arranger on pro tools Question

Question...
When I try to record my Korg pa1xpro arranger on an instrument track in Pro tools, the track just records an empty track, although I can hear the instrument through my headphones, and although the instrument records on less sophisticated software, like Voice Recorder Windows 10.
PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 06-16-2021, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Korg arranger on pro tools Question

You have a lot to learn.

First off - where are you plugging the headphones into - the keyboard or your computer? To record the audio from your keyboard you need to connect the audio outputs from the keyboard to an audio interface connected to your computer.

Then on the instrument track you need to select the audio input that your keyboard is connected to. Record arm the track and you should hear the audio coming from your keyboard. Of course make sure you have he input levels set right on the interface so you have ample signal but not overloading the input.

I suggest getting a good beginner's book on recording. There should be a couple of good books along that route that deal specifically with working in PT. Of course reading the PT manual is always a good thing.

QAPLA!
Old 06-17-2021, 07:05 AM

Hi thanks for answering, I really appreciate it!
my ssl2+ interface is plugged into my laptop, and my keyboard is connected to the interface thru the inputs.
My headphones are plugged into the interface, and set at the output on the instrument track.
On the instrument track, I did select "Input 1 and 2" which is which inputs my balanced cables are plugged into. (on my keyboard, the balanced cables are plugged into outputs L and R.
I have a signal, I can hear my keyboard and mic (that's connected to my keyboard) in my headphones, but when recording, its just an empty track.
I know I have a lot to learn, (I'm 16:) I will definitely try to educate myself as much as possible. Thank you for your time! Be well!
Old 06-17-2021, 07:59 AM

First lesson: You are trying to record audio - you need a stereo audio track. Set its inputs and outputs and you can record.
Instrument tracks are typically used for virtual instrument plugins - and they record MIDI, not audio. They're like a midi track and a aux track combined.