Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2012, 02:21 PM

Default ProControl to Artist Control

We have been using a ProControl for 12 years and as PT 11 gets closer we are trying to decide if we should move to a D Command or Artist Control solution.

One question I have about Artist Control/EuCon is how to monitor sound. What is the best solution for a few Main and Alternate inputs for speakers and also for an AUX out for a monitor send to talent headphones?

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:31 AM

Default Re: ProControl to Artist Control

Go D-Command/X-mon
Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 AM

We realize that would probably be a better solution, but I would like some more info on monitoring solutions with the Artist Control. Obviously the Artist series and D Command are two different budgets.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:21 PM

Artist has an ASIO thing which works pretty well with other daws, but in my experience, Protools does not like it very much. Also, all it does is give you multi mon switching, no head phone mixing that I'm aware of and if there is, it's certainly not clear how to do it.

Best of both worlds might be System5 variant. If I were putting a new desk in a room built for tracking and mixing.. there's no question that it would be system5. Icon is not worth the investment in my opinion, there's a reason Avid bought euphonix.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:33 PM

I want from a pro control to and artist mix, mix, control, transport. It's a nice combo. Come little issues here and their but really nice controller for the money. I use a Martin Sound MultiMax EX to monitor sound. It I had to do it all over again, I might have choose a Omni as a monitor controller.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Hello,
I just sold my ProControl and purchased some Euphonix MC Mixes, a MC Transport, and a MC Control. I liked my ProControl a lot but I'm not willing to chance it going to HDX in the very near future. How do you like your setup Brandonx1?
Mac Pro Early 2009 3.06 Six Core 48gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD6 Accel, Pro Tools 2021, Macbook Pro, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Logic 9 and 10, Apogee Big Ben, 10pcs HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Distressors, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Dangerous, Lynx, Manley ELOP+, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2 & Nail, Empirical Labs, Drawmer, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Cranesong, SSL 500 G-Bus, Custom Audio Germany, Dynaudio, Focal, Yamaha, TC Electronic, Mapex Drums, SPL
Old 08-11-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar012001 View Post
Hello,
I just sold my ProControl and purchased some Euphonix MC Mixes, a MC Transport, and a MC Control. I liked my ProControl a lot but I'm not willing to chance it going to HDX in the very near future. How do you like your setup Brandonx1?
Like I said it's really a good controller. I'd say faster than my old pro control and I was really fast on a pro control. It's got some features only found on an icon until eucon and some eucon only features which are really cool. I also really like the form factor: they are really small, compact units taking up little too on my desk. I actually have desk space now.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:02 AM

Thanks BrandonX!
I was having buyers remorse only because I had got to know the ProControl so well. It's good to hear from someone who more recently is having success with the Eucon Artist/MC Series controllers! I just modified the custom desk I had built for the 32 fader ProControl rig to fit 3 MC Mixes, MC Control, and 1 MC Transport. I purchased a Mac Pro 8 Core Nehalem with 32gb ram and I finally upgraded to Pro Tools 10HD. I'm looking forward to using the Eucon system with my tracking and mixing. I would appreciate any helpful information as I get started next week!

Thanks again for the reply.
Mac Pro Early 2009 3.06 Six Core 48gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD6 Accel, Pro Tools 2021, Macbook Pro, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Logic 9 and 10, Apogee Big Ben, 10pcs HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Distressors, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Dangerous, Lynx, Manley ELOP+, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2 & Nail, Empirical Labs, Drawmer, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Cranesong, SSL 500 G-Bus, Custom Audio Germany, Dynaudio, Focal, Yamaha, TC Electronic, Mapex Drums, SPL
Old 08-18-2012, 07:22 PM

Just got my 2 MC Mix's, 1 MC Control, and a MC Transport all working excellently with Pro Tools 10.0.1 HD, Magma PER64i with HD6 Accel, and early 2009 Mac Pro Nehalem Quad 2.66 with Snow Leopard 10.6.8! I'm skipping Lion for now because of the problems I've been reading with users having issues with Eucon. I'm loving it! I do miss the "mass" of the 32 fader ProControl rig that was in my desk. However, this system is much more powerful. Also, I'm replacing all of the Euphonix fader caps with brand new ProControl styled fader caps. I just got the first 4 and used them on the MC Control. They totally look and feel better too!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 PM

Just got my MC Control 2 weeks ago, moved up from a DIGI 003 (yeah I consider it a move-up), I replaced the DIGI 003 for two reason's: 1.) I NEVER liked the convertors/mic pre's and hadn't used them since I got it. 2.) I also use Logic Pro 9 and wasn't able to use the 003 for mixing with L9. My point is, if you're looking to future proof your create set-up for the next 5/10 years, then I HIGHLY recommend the Artist Series. The EuCon Protocol works GREAT with both Pro Tools and L9 (can't really speak for other DAWS, as I only use these two).

I debated for two years of making the move to the Artist Series and The Smart AV Tango system, (basically the MC Control of steroids and then some..lol), but I went those route because of HIGHLY Recommendation and a ALOT of self-reserch...my decision was kinda helped/hurt by AVID purchasing Euphonix, but I took a leap of Faith and I have been VERY Happy with the results of making the purchase.

I hope that this helped in a round-about way.

V/R

La Forest Gray

Mac Pro (8GB) Lion OS X 10.7.4/Macbook Pro (4GB) Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.1/ Apogee Symphony IO/ Dangerous Music ST