Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2011, 02:51 AM

Exclamation My first thread: Allowed to buy a used Pro Tools 9 license with iLok transfer only?

Dear fellows,

at first "Hello" to everybody here at DUC.

This is my first thread here, so before I start I have to say thanks for being here.

At the beginning I have a (for me) difficult problem. I read all topics on Avid page, but I am not sure if I had really understood this.

I bought a "used" PT 9 license yesterday. The license is on my iLok account now and is named as "Pro Tools 9 [Digidesign] (License)".

The seller will send me the Mac installer. Additionally I ordered a replacement disc of PT 9 in the Avid shop yesterday.

I read in the FAQ's, that I am not able to register the license because I have no serial or activation card from the seller, only the license in my iLok account.

- Do I have a full working PT 9 now?
- Was it legal to do this?
- Is it possible to upgrade from this license to future versions of Pro Tools without trouble?
- Would I get the possibility to upgrade without paying the full price for a forthcoming version of PT (for example PT 10)?

Please give a fast reply. Because if it is not legal, I would send the license back to the seller.

Sorry for asking it here, but on other forum's you can read different opinions about this, and I only want to be sure I make everything right. I do not want to get trouble in the future because it was not allowed what I did. You can find such iLok license transfers on many forum's.

Thanks for reply in advance.

Greetings

b-pole

DAW 1: iMac 27" 2.93GHz i7 Quad - DAW 2: MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz i5 Dual
Logic Pro 9 - Reason 6 - Pro Tools 9
Old 08-30-2011, 03:30 AM

Default Re: My first thread: Allowed to buy a used Pro Tools 9 license with iLok transfer onl

Everything you have done is legal.

The seller would have paid an iLok transfer fee so now that you have authorization on your iLok all you need is a copy of PT9 to use it. Once you have your installer you are good to go. PT9 just needs the iLok plugged into computer to run once installed. Hardware serial numbers are required for cross-grades only, which is an offer of buying PT at a discounted price.

If you haven't done so already I would suggest creating an Avid Account. This is where you can register the replacement disc copy of PT you've bought and be able to download PT updates as they are released. Version 9.05 is the latest Pro Tools version available. Any new complete version ie PT10 will have to be paid for by everyone. Upgrades within the current version are free.

https://account.avid.com/index.cfm?a...create.prompt&

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 08-30-2011, 03:43 AM

Default Re: My first thread: Allowed to buy a used Pro Tools 9 license with iLok transfer onl

Quote:
Everything you have done is legal.
Thank you very very much. You saved my good mood today.

Now I am happy I made all right.
Avid account is ready, because I ordered the replacement disc yesterday.
I hope it is not important that there is no registration in my account because I have only the iLok license?

Quote:
Any new complete version ie PT10 will have to be paid for by everyone. Upgrades within the current version are free.
I am eligible for new cheaper software upgrades now, too, or do I have to buy a full version for forthcoming Pro Tools versions?
To make it clear: It was cheaper to upgrade from v8 to v9 instead of buying a totally new v9.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-pole View Post
Avid account is ready, because I ordered the replacement disc yesterday.
I hope it is not important that there is no registration in my account because I have only the iLok license?
What is important is that you have an iLok license (Authorization) on your iLok

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-pole View Post
I am eligible for new cheaper software upgrades now, too, or do I have to buy a full version for forthcoming Pro Tools versions?
To make it clear: It was cheaper to upgrade from v8 to v9 instead of buying a totally new v9.
You need to understand the difference between upgrade, update and cross-grade.

When a new version of Pro Tools is released eg v7 to v8, or v8 to v9, 9 to 10 etc. it is considered an upgrade & EVERYBODY pays to upgrade.

Any version update eg v7 to 7.01, or v8 to 8.02, v9 to 9.05 etc is free.

There are times when discount offers are made by Avid, as was the case with the release of version 9. This offer was a cross-grade. To qualify for this cross-grade, one had to own an Avid/Digidesign hardware interface such as Mbox or 002,003 etc. and when buying the cross-grade say from v8 to v9, the serial number of the hardware interface had to be supplied to Avid to qualify for the discounted price to cross-grade. Once that particular serial number is used it does not qualify for anymore discounts.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 AM

I fully understood.
Quote:
When a new version of Pro Tools is released eg v7 to v8, or v8 to v9, 9 to 10 etc. it is considered an upgrade & EVERYBODY pays to upgrade
Yep, but what I meant is different.
I meant that in my case (with v9) the upgrade to v10 is cheaper instead as I would have NO version before and would buy v10 NEW license?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:41 AM

My understanding is you will not be able to register the replacement discs either. You can install w/ your iLok authorization and get free updates but a serial will not come with the replacement discs and it will not be able to go into you avid account as an asset.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:13 AM

I think the bottom line here is that nobody really knows.

The question is, when it comes to Pro Tools 10 or the replacement to 9, how will Avid process the upgrade. For example, if all that is required is an ilok license surrender for the Pro Tools 9 asset, you will be fine. If they need to verify registration then you may have issues. In the past with bundle updates it has been ilok license surrender.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:53 AM

From the Avid Knowledge Base:

Transfer of iLok licenses are between the individual parties. Avid will only register software purchased by the original owner

If you have purchased the product that included your activation code second hand (used), it is possible that the previous owner has already used the code to obtain the software licenses, and authorizations, associated with that code. In this case the previous owner would be responsible for providing any software or authorizations promised to you.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
My understanding is you will not be able to register the replacement discs either
This is no problem for me, why should I register replacement discs? The most important thing is that I can install it.
Quote:
I think the bottom line here is that nobody really knows.
This is the reason I asked here. There are different opinions about this topic on all forums I am registered so far. This was the reason to register here at DUC, because I was of the opinion that on a Pro Tools forum the members know more about my question.
Quote:
If they need to verify registration then you may have issues.
indeed
Quote:
In the past with bundle updates it has been ilok license surrender
What do you mean with this? I have problems to understand it, because of English language. I am from Germany and "surrender" has different meanings, as far as I know.
Quote:
If you have purchased the product that included your activation code second hand (used), it is possible that the previous owner has already used the code to obtain the software licenses, and authorizations, associated with that code. In this case the previous owner would be responsible for providing any software or authorizations promised to you.
The seller told me that he has no authorization codes, no registration cards, only the iLok license. Seems he has bought the license used, too. But I would see no problems with this. If the code was used to obtain the software licenses, and authorizations, he could not make anything with them, because he has no iLok license any more, and so he cannot run the software. I am of the opinion, you will not get a second iLok authorization if you say, "ups, iLok lost or stolen, please give another license." The license is on my iLok, so I think I am on the sure way?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:33 AM

Only an update info:

got the replacement discs, but not able to register.

Nevertheless I have now the discs and can start to install this weekend.