Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 PM

Default Anyone running HD 8.1.1 on Lion?

Has anyone given it a go?

It isn't officially supported, but I just installed Lion + HD 8.1.1 on an SSD drive in a hackintosh. I didn't think it would pass the "checking system" routine the installers do at the beginning of the installation process... but 8.0 installed, followed by 8.1.1 update. The only thing that was a miss with the installation was the pace drivers (they require rosetta to run which was discontinued in lion), so I downloaded the newest drivers from the ilok website and its away...

HD2 system passes digitest, loads a session (minus the extra TDM plugins I haven't installed yet), and appears to work fine.

Does anyone have any negative experiences with running 10.7.4 + HD 8.1.1?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Anyone running HD 8.1.1 on Lion?

Any particular reason that you don't want to upgrade to 10? You're obviously on a computer that can handle it as you are running Lion.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 PM

Very interesting. I just upgraded to Intel / Lion and am trying to decide whether to go PT9 or PT10. It didn't even dawn on my to try my existing PT8, which has all the features I need.

- But how did you get the 8.0 installer to work, before running the 8.1.1 updater? Doesn't it require Rosetta?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Any particular reason that you don't want to upgrade to 10? You're obviously on a computer that can handle it as you are running Lion.
Not any particular reason... but 1500 of the same reason
Or around 650 off ebay.

I would love to run HD 10, but I'd rather spend the money elsewhere at the moment. The pending release of HD11 could mean dumping my protools HD2 system entirely if it is appealing enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
Very interesting. I just upgraded to Intel / Lion and am trying to decide whether to go PT9 or PT10. It didn't even dawn on my to try my existing PT8, which has all the features I need.

- But how did you get the 8.0 installer to work, before running the 8.1.1 updater? Doesn't it require Rosetta?
It works fine other than a message towards the end of the initial HD8 installation that says something along the lines of "Pace something or other is only compatible with PowerPC computers". I thought I was out of luck, but after hitting "ok" the installation states it was successful! I have done it twice now. Once on the SSD drive running Lion for my audio stuff, and again on a 5.2k HD for my admin stuff.

After the HD8 install I did the 8.1.1 update then went to ilok.com and downloaded the latest drivers, installed, authorised and success! HD8 appears to work just fine.

I'll post back with some more up to date findings. Right now I am installing heat, Virus TDM, TL space, some Abbey Road plugins, Sonnox and a few waves version 8...
Old 09-12-2012, 04:13 AM

^ That's great news. Now I have options / breathing time.

I'm also saving my coppers for a Possible major change when PT11 hits, though I doubt it will have any features I'll really "need."

I quite literally have every function I could possibly want with PT8, except for some aggravating midi implementation.

- but then, Protools never has been much of a midi editor, so I don't expect much change there. - I'm a former beta-tester, and believe me they don't care much about midi, it's sort of begrudgingly tacked-on.