Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-20-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Need a killer vocal verb setting for D-Verb

Does anyone have a setting for their D-Verb that they absolutely love and would like to share. I'm not really good at creating great vocal verb settings and would love to hear what some of you have come up with to use on my vocal tracks.

Thanks
-Mark
Old 02-20-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Need a killer vocal verb setting for D-Verb

I've never found D-Verb to be killer on anything. It's just grainy and "ringy" sounding.

One of the first things I did after buying PTLE was to buy the Waves Native Power Pak that has Truverb - which is very decent, if not spectacular.

If you have an outboard Reverb, it will most likely also sound better than D-Verb. I used a Lexicon MPX110 with Protools for several years and got very respectable results out of it.

If you have a slower machine, then using an external reverb would be the way to go. If you have a fast machine, then get Altiverb. THAT's killer!

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:12 PM

D-Verb is useless, except maybe to trash up a snare. I love Realverb.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:18 AM

DVerb doesn't 'do' killer I'm afraid. If you have to horsepower, get Altiverb - that really *is* killer, period.

G5 iMac 20" 1.8GHz 1GB 160GB / Lacie FW80GB
OSX 10.3.5 / MBox / PTLE 6.7
Old 02-21-2005, 08:43 AM

Never could really get DVerb to sound decent at all. But, yeah Altiverb is great! Even if you don't have the fastest G4/G5. I have a G4/1.4Ghz....1.25g of RAM and can run three altiverbs (in high latency mode-mixdowns) with no problem.

Plus; Altiverb 5 is coming very soon!
Old 02-21-2005, 08:51 AM

If you truly have nothing better than D-Verb, put a 16bit dither before it (in a 24 bit session) and run it at 100% Mix on an Aux track. Then put a Digi 1 band EQ with a default Q setting. Now make another aux with the source untouched. Mix together to taste to the output (master track). Now go back to that EQ on the Verb-Aux track and sweep through the frequencies at about -3 to -6db. You will probably find a cut in the upper freq's a bit more pleasing. You can also play with the preprogrammed settings depending on what your after to get the best flavor.

Then go to eBay and search for Lexicon LXP-1 (&-5 if you like flavor). Cheap and wonderful outboard gear. Use to be the standard of the industry 20 years ago and is still excellent.