Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2002, 06:41 PM

Default Digi001+MBox+DGD Control Panel: Big Problem

I'm testing MBox in order to write a review for my local dealer. As a previous user of PT TDM and Digi001 later, they told me to write something about this new DigiGadget.

I've intalled PTLE 5.2.1. (5.2 + update).

Computer Setup:

MacOs 9.2.2
Extensions set: Os+Ddg (as recommended)
G4 400Mhz AGP 320Mb RAM
Digi001

Everything seemed to work fine. Both systems can share the same host as you can choose one of them with Playback Engine inside PTLE.

But Digidesign Control Panel does not work at all: If you choose MBox, you're locked, since you cannot change this setting. You select 001 and next time you open the Control Panel is still on MBox.

This doesn't affect PTLE except when you try to import audio into your session: Prelistening does not work (you cannot hear selected audio files to import).

And you're still locked with all Sound Manager related issues: "Digidesign" output always refer to MBox. Even when you disconnect MBox or you restart without Digidesign USB Extension.

You cannot manage to play audio via Digi001 outside PTLE. DGD control panel still rely on MBox. After trashing preferences & Digisetup, MBox is still there; even after restarting without MBox and USB driver.

The only way to work out this: reinstall 5.1.1 extensions set. No more MBox.

I've read that this issue could be solved by restarting without DGD Control Panel. I'll try that. But I think this is a BIG BUG.

Sorry for my english.

Regards...
Old 05-12-2002, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Digi001+MBox+DGD Control Panel: Big Problem

If you are writing a review of the Mbox, you should remove the Digi 001 hardware from the computer and re-install the Pro Tools 5.2 software that comes with the Mbox. That way you would be reviewing it the way it was tested and the way most users would be using it. Although it may work, multiple Digidesign hardware systems would not be a standard, recommended or supported configuration. The types of issues you are seeing would not be a bug, just an incompatibility. It might work OK, but I would not be surprised at all to see problems like you are describing.

After you remove the Digi 001 hardware, you should delete the following file from your System Folder/Preferences folder:
Sound Preferences
as well as the DigiSetup file in the Preferences folder.

There is an Answerbase item that may help:

http://answerbase.digidesign.com/detail.cf m?DID=7737
Quote:
No sound plays out of the Digidesign hardware when the Digidesign Control Panel has been chosen

How to set the Digidesign Control Panel:
1) Apple Menu > Control Panels > Sound > Output tab.
2) Select Digidesign
3) Click on the Main Output slider button. If the Menu bar flashes black, then Active in Background is selected in Pro Tools. If the menu does not flash in black, then the Mac audio will play out of the Digidesign hardware.
How to disable"Active In Background" in Pro Tools:
Operations menu > uncheck "Active In Background".
ID:7737 Created:03/21/2002
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">