Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 10-24-2009, 04:31 PM

Default Difference between PT8-MP Upgrade and Full version?

Is there a difference between the upgrade and full versions of PT-Mpowered?

I purchased the "upgrade" before the full version was available.. I had to buy an ilok separately but other than that it worked fine even though i didn't have a previous version of protools. in fact, if i recall correctly, the installation tells you to remove any previous versions before you install version 8 anyways.

I guess the price difference is because you get a boxed version with printed manual and an included ilok?

Full ($300):
http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...88865096003840

Upgrade ($150):
http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...24083762047056
Old 10-25-2009, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Difference between PT8-MP Upgrade and Full version?

If you have the ilok auth and PT is running then you are fine.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-25-2009, 07:11 AM

I bought 7.4 when version 8 was only available as an upgrade and not a boxed versons I was told by numerous stores that there was never going to be a boxed version of ptmp8, but only one week after I had bought v7.4 as a boxed version the boxed version of pt8 was standing there shiny in the windows of the stores. But I did use the upgrade from 7.4 for free, and the difference between this download version and the boxed version is that you do not get the demo session files that are included on the disk and they talk so much about in their tutorials. I wish I had the session files myself would be great as a way to learn the new features. This is the only difference I believe.
Memory: 2GB
ST3250310SV 250GB (SATA300, 3.:233GB (H:)
ST3320620AS 320GB (SATA150, 3.:298GB (C:)
External Harddisk: Lacie D2 Quadra 1 TB firewire 400 (Oxford 11 chipset - using a different firewire card than fw410)
Windows System: Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit ultimate
M-audio Firewire 410 (ADS PYRO PCI 64 bit firewire card with Texas instrument chipset)
(6.0.1_5.10.0.5058)
Pro Tools M-powered 8.03
Old 10-25-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
If you have the ilok auth and PT is running then you are fine.
I'm asking because i often recommend protools to people and i've been saying it's only $150... i just wanted to make sure i wasn't misleading people :)
Old 10-26-2009, 09:38 AM

The price difference is because lets say you are just starting with pro tools you have to have a "full version" If you already have PT your license is on your ilok and when you uninstall previous versions your ilok remembers your account.

I started backin PTMP 7.1 had to bu the full version w/ilok then I just upgraded as needed $50.00 for 7.3-7.4 then $150.00 for 8.0. In short to answer your question , no there is no difference.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Correct, not in the application itself.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-26-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Fader View Post
The price difference is because lets say you are just starting with pro tools you have to have a "full version"
Yes, normally, this is the case with most software upgrades, but it is apparently NOT the case with the PT8 upgrade. As I said, I purchased the upgrade version and installed it successfully even though I had never owned Protools before. Half the students in my audio classes purchased the PT8 (both LE and MP) "upgrade" without ever having purchased a full version. Our teacher even told us to buy the upgrade since there was no full version available at the time.

Obviously there is no difference in the core program. I want to know what is included with the Full Version that makes it worth $150 more than the upgrade.

You get an ilok with the full version which is worth $40. I'm assuming the rest of the price goes to the box, printed manual and the files on DVD?

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 10-28-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
Yes, normally, this is the case with most software upgrades, but it is apparently NOT the case with the PT8 upgrade. As I said, I purchased the upgrade version and installed it successfully even though I had never owned Protools before. Half the students in my audio classes purchased the PT8 (both LE and MP) "upgrade" without ever having purchased a full version. Our teacher even told us to buy the upgrade since there was no full version available at the time.

Obviously there is no difference in the core program. I want to know what is included with the Full Version that makes it worth $150 more than the upgrade.

You get an ilok with the full version which is worth $40. I'm assuming the rest of the price goes to the box, printed manual and the files on DVD?
Thats cool. Wish I would have waited till you did to buy it, heh. I'm assuming you and your students all had to buy iloks to get your MP versions working?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 AM

yes.. me and my classmates just bought the iloks separately

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 10-29-2009, 06:56 AM

If you are in a class (edu) - Isn't there and educational version that costs $150? Why didn't you just get that (it includes the iLok)?