Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2004, 11:23 AM

Default There\'s something about Samplitude.....

Hello good people everywhere,

I'm relatively new to PT with my MBox, but I must say first that I absolutely love my MBox and PT.

Good, now that's cleared up, I can continue. I was asked by a friend of mine to install a copy of the Samplitude Demo and take it for a spin, which is what I did. And you know what? I quite liked it. Actually, I really like it. The way it felt, and the interface, and all that. I never expected it to be so rich, but I found it to be a very mature application.

I'm mad, but after trying out the demo, I'm thinking of picking up a copy of Full version, Samplitude Pro, which I believe(hope) would be able to compliment my PT LE. What appealed to me was the fact that it seemed so lite on my CPU and secondly, I could use any hardware I wanted to. The only downside is that I love to incorporate Reason into my sessions, but Samplitude doesn't support Rewire (yet). However it does support VST

So, I'm just thinking of picking up Samplitude for the hell of it, and to see how it fits in with what I do. At the same time, if there's anyone else out there who uses this, then could you please share the pros/cons which you have found in using Samplitude, so that I could perhaps make a more informed decision instead of just acting on impulse, which is what I'm just about to do

Thank you all good people everywhere...
Val
Old 03-02-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: There\'s something about Samplitude.....

Hi!
Besides PT, there are some other apps/DAWs I really like:
PARIS (no brainer- it's where I came from to PT)

RADAR (ok- not an "in the box" DAW, but an amazing piece none-the-less. Go top-end with it, and "sweet" will be on your lips more oft than naught. 'Spensive...)

SAWStudio (wow. Over $2k for the full monte. Slightly different approach, but very nice. Plus, videos of it in use- VERY cool!)

Samplitude/Sequoia (Mmmm- Sequoia...mmmm. Looking back, thinking I should have spent a little more time deciding between Nuendo2 and Sequoia. Can't spend $1k+ every day...and Sequoia is about $2.5k vs $1k for Samp Pro. I really love being able to view frequency content of a wave in the editor thru color coding, and the advanced editing features this adds- VERY cool! But, for $2k plus, I'd be checking SAW first probably; hard decision...)

PT HD Accel is my personal fav tho Extremely happy with it. Couple features I would like to see added, but otherwise I am happy enough that 99% of the time I work with it, the world disappears for those few hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:34 PM

wow, I never even heard of half of these you mentioned. Why is it that all you ever hear about is Logic or Cubase? Or maybe that's just the my impression. I never even heard of Samplitude until a few days ago. I'm just so surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often. It's absolutely superb. I myself used to use Cubase (or tried to ), but just couldn't get into a groove with that interface in my face, he he

Val
Old 03-02-2004, 03:24 PM

Samplitude was what I tried as the very first. Today I believe that it was the first stable Host at all at that time ( PT LE didnīt exist yet ). Too bad I left it because I wanted midi too, which led me into endless trouble with Steinjerg crap and Cakewalk.

A while ago I returned to Samplitude and I believe it to be the best there is on the mid priced level. I havnīt tried Sequoia ( which is even more equipped ) and the hosts Nikki named, but I heard people saying the same about Samplitude who likely have seen all the choices.

... Just the way it launches ... I couldnīt stand that waiting anymore when PT opens and loads and loads and loads, not to mentione when you occasionaly were in need to open and close it several times, Samp is up and running in ~ 2 seconds.
And I have yet to experience that the audio would mudden from treatment.

Together with a Lynx card on a modern PC itīs a fantastic combo. Only not for midi geeks I think.

Anyway, it has drawbacks too ( some functions seem easier accessible in PT, and I have seen disturbances with plugs in Samp ). But havnīt tried with the latest update yet which is supposed to have some improvements. Should come with the post this week.

Lalaman

PS: If any would be thinking of buying it, donīt shell out the listprice. You can crossgrade, which means just proving that you have another host already and get it for about 400 bucks less.

PS2: Rewire will be integrated this year.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:47 PM

Sounds good to me. I'm not really a midi-geek, apart from the odd quantising. And I heard the Room Simulator is really good too which doesn't come with the demo. It just sounds like a good deal to me!
Old 03-02-2004, 07:04 PM

There are many great features.
For instance, have you ever had the case that you imported your two track into a new session for mastering and suddenly find that there is track no.12 inside the mix that would need some tweak? And how you would have to go back, make changes, bounce the two track again and import it into mastering session? Or even worse if you had several sessions of that project and you would have to first trace back and find out at which point track no.12 still had been in that certain condition, before you had it audio-suited to spare resources or whatever?
Well, I have had thelike and as I was not exactly ideally organized it wound up in hours and hours of waisted time.

In Samp you can bounce as a root project. That means that your two track under its skin can be brought to session state at any time. With a click you have all components back, individual tracks, plugs, settings and all. And as in Samp you have even parameters available individually within regions ( of a same track ) you can even go back that deep within a heartbeat. Make your changes and zip you are back to your two track and proceed your mastering.

These are ideal options for desorganized types like me. And there is a lot desirable stuff in this complex program. I have not yet explored a fraction.

Lalaman
Old 03-03-2004, 07:59 AM

Thanks Lala, yes, it sounds complex alright. I don't mind that as long as it doesn't get in the way. That's why I liked PT so much, as soon as I tried it. Did you hear the Room Simulator? Tell me how does it sound?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:16 AM

So far have tried TC plugs with Samp, although its own plugs are considered good quality. I will be trying them out soon.

Lalaman

PS: By now Pt still seem more intuitive to me. You definitly need tha manual at your site first. And some things seem even weird to me like submix and aux tracks which I havnīt figured yet how they are supposed to be routed. Probably needs to attend their forum for such questions which I havnīt done yet, but will as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:25 PM

Default Re: There's something about Samplitude.....

I just tried the trial version of samplitude to compare to my PT on
the 11 rack.I like the layout and some of the features but lets talk about
basic guitar recording.It seems I couldnt get the recording level higher
than 6db whereas PT gives me 12db.Therefore the playback was very
Quiet.It would only play back through my laptop's crummy speakers,where as
PT plays back through the 11 rack monitors and obviously sounds better.Is
this the way it has to be or can samplitude work the same as PT in this regard?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
The only downside is that I love to incorporate Reason into my sessions, but Samplitude doesn't support Rewire (yet). However it does support VST
"Presonus Studio One Pro" VST, Rewire and on the spot editing in real-time. I love my PT8, never got into Cubase but I really, really am considering leaving PT for Studio One Pro, if Avid doesn't get their s**t together really soon!

Check it out:

presonus.com/products/SoftwareDetail.aspx?SoftwareId=11

Healing the world through music.................

Sony Vaio Laptop|2 Core P8700 2.53 Ghz 8 Gb Ram|Win8 x64
PT 9.0.6|Cubase 7|Samplitude Pro X|Reason 5|Spectrasonics|Komplete
RME BabyFace|AxiomPro49|Akai LPD8