Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 07-26-2021, 09:07 PM

Default Perpetual license phase out.

Hi folks,
I have an older PT Ultimate Perpetual license that I'd occasionally like to update.

I see that my options seem to be either a) buy a new perpetual license or b) 'sell" my license to AVID for a subscription discount.

There used to be a reinstatement option where you could reactivate an old perpetual license for a year of updates. I see that you can buy old stock in a few places. I have a few questions.

1. if I buy a reinstatement key, does it last forever? ie. could I hoard a couple

2. Why on earth do AVID sell perpetual licenses if it's just a more expensive form of subscription anyway?

3. Not allowing us to upgrade our expensive licenses is terrible - but yes, I know this is AVID.

Am I on the right track here assuming that perpetual licenses are essentially pointless / legacy? Is there any chance of reinstatement keys being introduced again? I like PT and I don't want to change, but this is unacceptable.

Can a moderator out there contact me please, I'd like clarity on a few issues.

Alex
Old 07-27-2021, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Perpetual license phase out.

The reason why perpetual licenses aren’t pointless is because you can continue to use the software forever. Assuming nothing changes on your system, you potentially can run the software for a long time. You won’t have access to new versions, unless you pay the renewal every year, but what you have continues to work forever.

Subscriptions stop working altogether when you stop paying. You’re renting the software. Once you stop paying the rent, you no longer have access to your software. It won’t run.

Pretty big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ald0s View Post
Hi folks,
I have an older PT Ultimate Perpetual license that I'd occasionally like to update.

I see that my options seem to be either a) buy a new perpetual license or b) 'sell" my license to AVID for a subscription discount.

There used to be a reinstatement option where you could reactivate an old perpetual license for a year of updates. I see that you can buy old stock in a few places. I have a few questions.

1. if I buy a reinstatement key, does it last forever? ie. could I hoard a couple

2. Why on earth do AVID sell perpetual licenses if it's just a more expensive form of subscription anyway?

3. Not allowing us to upgrade our expensive licenses is terrible - but yes, I know this is AVID.

Am I on the right track here assuming that perpetual licenses are essentially pointless / legacy? Is there any chance of reinstatement keys being introduced again? I like PT and I don't want to change, but this is unacceptable.

Can a moderator out there contact me please, I'd like clarity on a few issues.

Alex
It's pretty clear in the license options .

#1 You can buy a new full price perpetual license (which you can renew every year on a support and upgrade plan )
#2 You can opt out of the annual support/upgrade plan and continue to use you license at its current version.
#3 if you opt out you will have to purchase a new full price license to get back in
#4 You can simply purchase a subscription (monthly or yearly) and opt out and back in at your discretion (at what ever the current subscription price when you opt back in)

It's not a mystery :::
Avid stopped the practice of allowing a reduced price reinstatement option, after opting out for a number of years because . (I am assuming) #1 in general steady income is a more desirable business plan than sporadic income #2 Getting back in at a reduced upgrade price after a few years was less overall price and revenue than having customers maintaining the annal support/upgrade plan or the annual cost of a subscription. And allowing that reduced reinstatement, obviously reduces incentive for customers to subscribe or maintain an annual upgrade/support plan.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 07-27-2021 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:10 AM

You dont need a moderator to contact you as we dont know anything more than explained here and if we did we would not be able to talk about it with anyone.

The answers given here are the knowledge Avid has let out and no one knows what when or if they will kill yearly updates for Perpetual licenses.

And just a FYI ( a license wont work ”forever” ) so if your computer konks out and you have to update and use a newer OS but you can use it as long as the setup is working and not in need of updating OS or buy a computer that can’t run the necessary OS for your license. Should’t be an issue as most studios we coloab with still use 12-15 y/o Macs with super stable performance

Some still run PT 7.3 and 8.1.1 which seem to run 100% of the time …

We have come a long way … or not LOL

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-07-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

And just a FYI a license wont work ”forever” if your computer konks out and you have to update and use a newer OS but you can use it as long as the setup is working and not in need of updating OS
You bring up an interesting potential conundrum…

I end up reformatting my hard drive from time to time. Will a current license code only work for a specific amount of activations? My previous PT 11 activation on my Ilok has worked time and time again.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:52 AM

Default Perpetual license phase out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kelly View Post
You bring up an interesting potential conundrum…

I end up reformatting my hard drive from time to time. Will a current license code only work for a specific amount of activations? My previous PT 11 activation on my Ilok has worked time and time again.

No.

The license resides on your iLok. If it’s perpetual… well, it last forever. Unless you break/lose your iLok, you can continue to run the software on your computer forever. That is assuming of course, your computer meets the system requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 08-07-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:31 AM

What Sardi said

You have the license on ilok so as long as you have a computer that runs the necessary OS for PT11 you can install a million times or more

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————