Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2014, 01:53 PM

Default routing

Can anybody help......i am trying to feed a mono track out of M-box and into an outboard pre-amp, then back out of pre-amp and into M-box and onto a new track......I am currently sending track out of mono 1 and have a mono lead coming out of left output on M-box and into Pre-amp......I have a mono lead coming out of the Pre-amp and into 'Input 2' on M-box with a Track ready to record the in coming signal from the Pre-amp........The problem i'm getting is A. I get major feedback so i have to Mute the track i'm recording on and there for can't monitor the process, and B. Even when i record with Mute on, the result is still coming out a little niosy........Am i routing correctly?......Please help!!

Skiffle
Old 04-01-2014, 02:56 PM

Default Re: routing

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-01-2014, 04:29 PM

The mbox (appart from the original version 1) is not designed to accommodate inserts.

You're not going to be able to monitor the live input without a feedback loop, unless your record track is set to output only to hardware output 2 (right hand channel).

Otherwise, the only ways you're going to be able to avoid a feedback loop, is to go in to preferences and "un-link record and playback faders", which will allow you to have any record enabled track faded all the way down, but will return to its regular playback level when you take it out of record-arm. Or just mute the track as you have been doing, and forgo monitoring during record.

Without hearing an example, I'd guess your noise issue is either an earth loop, or a mismatch in operating level / impedance, which you may be able to rectify if your outboard pre-amp is sufficiently equipped.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:36 PM

Mbox is about the last interface you should be trying to do hardware inserts with. Sell it and buy a used 003 would be my suggestion

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-02-2014, 07:10 AM

Thanks guys, i guess my options are to......

a, Continue recording with mute on the record track and not monitor while recording.

b, Buy a 003.

c, As my goal is to master my finished tracks through valve pre-amps, i guess i could come out of M-box main outs L.R. and into the pre-amps....out of the pre -amps and directly into my c.d. recorder?? Mmmmmm

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
Old 04-04-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffle View Post
As my goal is to master my finished tracks through valve pre-amps, i guess i could come out of M-box main outs L.R. and into the pre-amps....out of the pre -amps and directly into my c.d. recorder?? Mmmmmm

Any thoughts?
I'm a bit confused as to what you're doing. Sending recorded tracks or stems through preamps? Double-amping isn't part of mastering, I'm unclear on what your desired result is. Given what you have written, I can tell you the added noise is because you're sending a line level signal through a preamplifier.