Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 PM

Default Calculating Overviews p**ing me off!

Ok seriously, why do I have to wait 5+ minutes every time I open a session for PT to "calculate overviews?"

The system is so slow and unresponsive while it does this that there's nothing to do but wait for it to finish.

This happens on sessions that I literally just had open minutes earlier, but upon re-opening, "calculating overviews" yet again.

Granted these are very large sessions with 100+ tracks, but why isn't it saving this overview data somewhere if it's so hard and time consuming to calculate?

It's a real pain in the butt when the client is sitting behind me and we're trying to quickly go through 20 or so sessions and we have to wait several minutes for PT to calculate overviews in each one before I can play it back.

/end rant

PTHD Native 10.1.2 / OS 10.7.3
Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Calculating Overviews p**ing me off!

Not seeing that here

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 PM

I get the odd session recalcing overviews seemingly at random. I wish the window would close itself after its done though.

edit>> Just changed the Delay Comp size in a session that I had open, and when it reopened it recalced overviews..????????
Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 PM

How is your delay compinsation set . I noticed this to and I think it might have something to do with that. Does the playback seem slugish at all. are all the tracks showing GREEN for delay compinsation.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonixstudio View Post
How is your delay compinsation set . I noticed this to and I think it might have something to do with that. Does the playback seem slugish at all. are all the tracks showing GREEN for delay compinsation.
Delay comp is at maximum, and yes everything is green. I'll experiment with shutting it off as a test, but the session is loaded with plug-ins and being bussed into stems, so I couldn't really work without it on.

Playback is only sluggish during the "calculating overviews" period, after it finishes calculating, everything is fairly smooth. And by sluggish I mean, it takes several seconds for PT to respond to any input from the mouse or keyboard until it finishes calculating overviews, and if I try and playback before it finishes I get a pretty instantaneous CPU error, so I just have to wait it out every time.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
Ok seriously, why do I have to wait 5+ minutes every time I open a session for PT to "calculate overviews?"

The system is so slow and unresponsive while it does this that there's nothing to do but wait for it to finish.

This happens on sessions that I literally just had open minutes earlier, but upon re-opening, "calculating overviews" yet again.

Granted these are very large sessions with 100+ tracks, but why isn't it saving this overview data somewhere if it's so hard and time consuming to calculate?

It's a real pain in the butt when the client is sitting behind me and we're trying to quickly go through 20 or so sessions and we have to wait several minutes for PT to calculate overviews in each one before I can play it back.

/end rant

PTHD Native 10.1.2 / OS 10.7.3
What is your media file format? Wav or MXF?
Where do the audio files reside? Network storage or local harddrive?
Can you explain how you built the sessions? (importing a AAF or other method?)
Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
What is your media file format? Wav or MXF?
24bit 48k WAV.

Quote:
Where do the audio files reside? Network storage or local harddrive?
Local firewire hard drive.

Quote:
Can you explain how you built the sessions? (importing a AAF or other method?)
It's a multi-tracked live concert session. The original sessions were created by the recording truck that tracked the show(s), I've since created individual sessions for each song in the show from that original full-length session and those individual sessions are the ones I work in daily. I have not consolidated the audio in the individual sessions, so they all still reference the original full-length audio files even though I have chopped them down to just be the length of the song within the individual sessions.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:44 AM

Is it possible there are any file permission issues?

Does this also happen if you create a new session and import the audio tracks in from the offending session?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:02 PM

Did anyone ever find a solution for this??

This happens to me randomly but frequently and on some larger sessions, really slows my day down.

I'm on PT 10.2.0 with HD hardware...
Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 PM

I never figured it out. Was definitely a pain in the arse, but thankfully I'm on to a new movie now and haven't run into it again.