Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Native Instruments: get your s**t together !

I have to say, IF they would work properly as RTAS-instruments, they would be really good.
Having said that, I am trying to bounce a guitar-rigedd (v 3.01) track to an audio track,
stopping every 5 sec to re-record because all I'm getting is clicks clicks clicks....
Yes I've been playing around with the buffer-size, doesn't help at all. Used to be the same
with version 2.

And since I'm on it: why do I have to switch PT to one processor use only when I want
to get a clean signal out of Kontakt 2 ?? No I didn't istall the last update because
NI says on their website that its' not working on rtas.....
I don't even wanna get into akustik piano, with crashes my (and other systems that I know)
after max 5min. of use...

So, ladies & gentleman @ native instruments, either you support a platform or not.
and if you advertise & sell professional plugs in a quite professional price range,
you better make them work properly. Or just drop rtas support officially and
get out of my face.

best- ph!L

g5/dual 2ghz, 4gb ram/pt 7.3.1cs5, hd accel3, os x.4.10
Old 11-16-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Native Instruments: get your s**t together !

Do you get clicks even with one processor/99%?

Martin

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 11-16-2007, 05:25 AM

Amen!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:

So, ladies & gentleman @ native instruments, either you support a platform or not.

I doubt that NI is going to listen to you on the Digidesign forum. But maybe they do.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I don't even wanna get into akustik piano, with crashes my (and other systems that I know)
after max 5min. of use...

I hear your frustration, but in this "fair and balanced" (haha) world, I will share my experience with AKoustic Piano. Recorded a Jazz quartet for 2 days, not a glitch or pop. In fact, it performed flawlesly, to everyones (especially my) amazement. It was the only VI running, and did not seem to put much strain on the CPU. I am sure that had something to do with it. I spent the evening before the date experimenting and below are the settings that gave me the best results. Sorry to hear you are having probs... and hope it works out. SB

PPC G5 2.7
OS 10.4.8
PT 7.3.1
HW buffer 256
single processor
cpu limit 90%
Old 11-16-2007, 07:36 AM

NI is notorious for writing their code as if no one is ever going to use any software but theirs. It's not just RTAS, I'm a heavy Receptor user and NI sample based plugs are hogs on that machine too. I have heard that using FXpansion's VST to RTAS converter works better than the RTAS only versions of NI plugs. Since it's only $79.00 I'm going to give it a try and I'll report back my findings. Till then I would try using the NI stuff one at a time as the ONLY VI open and then I would print it to audio once I was done.

Good luck,

Erik
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 AM

Yep, We Had to get rid off all Native Instruments VIs. Totally wonky, practically unusable. To bad really, cause sonically, there really interesting.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:03 AM

None of NI virtual instruments has ever worked successfully in any version of PT. B4 kind of works, but screwed up on a session just yesterday.. I use PT exclusively for musical composition, and have tried just about every VI out there. The only VI plugs that work consistently are made by digidesign. From the beginnings of virus tdm to the new structure rtas sampler, they are at the least as stable as PT. The problem is OS and digi updates destroy any 3rd party compatibility. Digi's VI's have just about all the same bases covered as any other company. Be happy and bail on NI.

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 AM

I resorted to moving all my NI VI to a dedicated PC. Now they're actually useable and I never have any issues with them.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:48 AM

If all VIs, except for Digidesign creations, have trouble in ProTools but run buttery smooth in another DAW on the exact same machine, are the VI developers really to blame? NI produce absolutely top-notch plugins. Getting a better synth than Massive is near impossible. Kontakt has a little more competition now, but stood head and shoulders above the crowd for a while. I could keep going like this for every NI product. These work like a charm on any DAW but ProTools. Basic troubleshooting theory tells me the problem lies in PT and RTAS. Most other DAW manufacturers have resorted to supporting more than one plugin format, and I think it's time Digidesign got off their proprietary-format horse and went that way as well. I wouldn't do a post project in anything but PT, but as long as RTAS will be the only native plugin format accepted, it will never be able to compete in the composition game. Seeing the features added in the last updates, that is definitely a market Digi want more of. How that can work when PT chokes up with 4 VIs on a machine that can run over 12 in another DAW is quite beyond me. Please, Digi, pleeeeeease!!