Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2015, 07:23 AM

Default 11.3.2 Dropbox suggestion

Not able to find it today for some reason, so I'm assuming it could be a violation of forum rules to have discussed it and the comments got deleted.
Regardless, here's a point of contention...and it's certainly a nuanced argument with some gray areas to address

It *shouldn't* be a big deal for someone who has access to 11.3.2 downloads to host them in a Dropbox (or similar file-sharing service)

Granted, it could potentially violate the ethics of those of us who wouldn't normally approve of unauthorized software usage (such a pirated versions, cracks, etc.)

However, in this situation, I can't for the life of me imagine thinking of it in the same way *because* a)Avid either lied about point releases, used misleading/murky terminology, or is seriously clueless about making its plans clear to everyone involved and b) it's not in any way a feature upgrade. It's simply a bug fix/stability release for already purchased software.

I'm not ready to trash Avid completely. It's clear that the company must make business decisions in its best interest, but it's equally clear that the company has painted itself into corners in recent years with a lack of ability to reasonably, comprehensively care for its customer base.

All that said, I don't have access to 11.3.2 because I paid for 11 and just don't need 12, nor HD... At least not at the moment. However, if I'm able to locate 11.3.2 installers (e.g. someone is willing to PM me and share them) I have no qualms with sharing them myself.

It's a shame that Avid has put legitimate software customers in a position to feel 'dirty' about something, but it is what it is at the moment
Old 10-03-2015, 11:19 AM

Default Re: 11.3.2 Dropbox suggestion

You can't find what you're looking for because someone posted a link to a site that hosted the 11.3.2 update and that post and several other posts in the same thread that alluded to using DropBox got deleted. Apparently it's a touchy subject with Avid. It's like the movie Fight Club - the first rule of having a Dropbox account with the update is you shall not talk about having a DropBox account with the update.

QAPLA!
Old 10-03-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You can't find what you're looking for because someone posted a link to a site that hosted the 11.3.2 update and that post and several other posts in the same thread that alluded to using DropBox got deleted. Apparently it's a touchy subject with Avid. It's like the movie Fight Club - the first rule of having a Dropbox account with the update is you shall not talk about having a DropBox account with the update.
Ha! The often inherent rebellious nature that many of us in music possess makes my initial reaction as 'hey, I've got it and I'm sharing it because you should have and didn't!'

But yeah, I get it... Probably important to play nice even in the face of a huge blunder. Hopefully Avid will sort this out, realize its a terrible way to do business, and course-correct moving forward.

I can tell you this... thousands of professionals here in Nashville depend on Pro Tools for a living, so a great many of us are resistant to a platform change since this particular software is so ubiquitous in our industry. However, the problems Avid has had in recent times with upsetting certain customer bases is not just internet forum chatter. As someone who works 'on the ground,' so to speak... many engineers, musicians, and producers discuss the possibility of making a shift in the coming years to a different software that's more on top of the game and not resting on laurels. We'd certainly prefer for Avid to get its act together, but there's no guarantee that someone won't build a better mousetrap which signals a mass-migration. We'll see
Old 10-03-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChance View Post
Ha! The often inherent rebellious nature that many of us in music possess makes my initial reaction as 'hey, I've got it and I'm sharing it because you should have and didn't!'

But yeah, I get it... Probably important to play nice even in the face of a huge blunder. Hopefully Avid will sort this out, realize its a terrible way to do business, and course-correct moving forward.

I can tell you this... thousands of professionals here in Nashville depend on Pro Tools for a living, so a great many of us are resistant to a platform change since this particular software is so ubiquitous in our industry. However, the problems Avid has had in recent times with upsetting certain customer bases is not just internet forum chatter. As someone who works 'on the ground,' so to speak... many engineers, musicians, and producers discuss the possibility of making a shift in the coming years to a different software that's more on top of the game and not resting on laurels. We'd certainly prefer for Avid to get its act together, but there's no guarantee that someone won't build a better mousetrap which signals a mass-migration. We'll see
Sad to say this might mean taking a bath on their dsp systems (TDM or HDX) to move to another daw and that as much as anything will contribute to the inertia. But if that can be overcome there are some killer packages out there. I've been using Digital Performer for some time now and it's refreshing to say the least.

How about surround sound, a working video engine and superb MIDI for instance? There's only one version of DP that does everything and it needs no iLok. Also no artificial I/O limits either. It's dual platform to boot. Haven't mentioned cost yet but how does $395 US for a competitive upgrade from any daw or even some editing s/w sound? And you don't have a yearly fee either; you can skip versions without penalty either.

I know this post will probably get deleted so grab these words while you can.

QAPLA!
Old 10-03-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Sad to say this might mean taking a bath on their dsp systems (TDM or HDX) to move to another daw and that as much as anything will contribute to the inertia. But if that can be overcome there are some killer packages out there.
Are there any competing DSP solutions out there? I know that there are the Waves and Universal Audio systems to offload the plugin processing. But the Protools HD/HDx systems does more than just plugin processing, doesn't it? Are there solutions out there to take up those tasks also? or are we now at the point where host processing is fast and powerful enough to handle all of those tasks?

The only other large scale digital mixing platform that I see out there being viable is Nuendo.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 10-03-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Are there any competing DSP solutions out there? I know that there are the Waves and Universal Audio systems to offload the plugin processing. But the Protools HD/HDx systems does more than just plugin processing, doesn't it? Are there solutions out there to take up those tasks also? or are we now at the point where host processing is fast and powerful enough to handle all of those tasks?

The only other large scale digital mixing platform that I see out there being viable is Nuendo.
The HDX systems also handle I/O but even that isn't an issue anymore with other systems. Modern computers are powerful enough to handle most anything one can throw at them; it comes down to how much processing do you need in real time (i.e. when tracking). As to I/O handling - there's Apogee's Thunderbridge setup but again to take full advantage with it with it's huge I/O complement you can't use it with PT which would limit you to 32 I/O.

Nuendo isn't the only one out there able to handle large scale work. Digital Performer can do it as can Sonar but Sonar is Windows only.

QAPLA!
Old 10-03-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
The HDX systems also handle I/O but even that isn't an issue anymore with other systems. Modern computers are powerful enough to handle most anything one can throw at them; it comes down to how much processing do you need in real time (i.e. when tracking). As to I/O handling - there's Apogee's Thunderbridge setup but again to take full advantage with it with it's huge I/O complement you can't use it with PT which would limit you to 32 I/O.

Nuendo isn't the only one out there able to handle large scale work. Digital Performer can do it as can Sonar but Sonar is Windows only.
Isn't Sonar a subscription only software now also though? I'd hate to move from one subscription based platform to another.

I think I'm going to check out Cubase 8 Pro.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 10-04-2015, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Isn't Sonar a subscription only software now also though? I'd hate to move from one subscription based platform to another.

I think I'm going to check out Cubase 8 Pro.
It's not subscription only; the plan has two tiers like Avid's BUT say you go the yearly route and decide you don't want to pay the next year - you don't get penalized like you do on the Avid plan. You just pay the next year's plan fee.

Why not give DP a shot? No subscription plan, no penalty for skipping a major version update, only one version of the program with all features and free tech support as long as you're a registered user of DP. And no iLok; serial number copy protection.

QAPLA!