Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Avid

Default Re: I don't feel so ripped off anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemek View Post
Sorry, but if THE SAME computer works perfectly with dozens tracks with Cubase SX3 (ASIO DIGI driver) and I have never heard anything wrong with PT7, PT6, PT5 and PT4 considering those interrupts, I think someone is going wrong direction. Switch off network, what else? USB and firewire, serial and parallel, keyboard and mouse?
Pro Tools is not Cubase - there is a HUGE difference between how Pro Tools works vs Cubase.

The fix we implemented in 8.0.1 was due to reports from a couple post and production houses regarding clicks during playback. We investigated what was occurring, found that they were being caused by interrupts. These interrupts (caused by other background processes holding up Pro Tools processes for too long) had always been there, we just never threw an error and, instead, they showed up as clicks during playback. During the investigation, it was determined that these might cause clicks on input that could get written to the audio file - we didn't think that was acceptable, so we put in code that would throw a 6031 error instead.

What this does, though, is expose situations in the configuration that could cause the interrupts. The cause, in every case we've seen, is traced to a configuration issue on the computer - outdated drivers, drivers that cause long interrupt times (such as the Realtek noted above), background processes, incorrect card order (or, in some cases, motherboard design that dictated a reversing of the card order for some reason..), etc.

Now, in your case, given that you were working with 8.0.1 and it was fine one day and throwing errors the next, I would look for things like viruses, malware and trojans that may have infected it, as they can definitely cause interrupts because they're typically running in the background and hidden to the user. If you've definitely not changed any other configuration of the computer - settings, drivers, devices, installing new software or hardware, etc - between when it was working and when it starting throwing errors, the malware explanation is the most likely.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:37 PM

Digi tech support....that these interupts might cause clicks on input that could get written to the audio file.......needless to say those error messages happen when your playing back a track ! ....so the audio file should not be altered in anyway more smoke and mirrors from digi you are becoming the talk of the town laugh a minute digi support .. i never got past just trying it out not many of my friends who own pro tools 8 on a windows system ever got far enough to record audio. at least 8.ocs3 is working fairly efficent... and the suck factor is?
Old 10-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeu87 View Post
Digi tech support....that these interupts might cause clicks on input that could get written to the audio file.......needless to say those error messages happen when your playing back a track ! ....so the audio file should not be altered in anyway more smoke and mirrors from digi you are becoming the talk of the town laugh a minute digi support .. i never got past just trying it out not many of my friends who own pro tools 8 on a windows system ever got far enough to record audio. at least 8.ocs3 is working fairly efficent... and the suck factor is?
I'm not quite clear what you're saying here. Can you be a little more specific? Which 'smoke and mirrors' are you referring to?
Old 10-08-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

The fix we implemented in 8.0.1 was due to reports from a couple post and production houses regarding clicks during playback. We investigated what was occurring, found that they were being caused by interrupts. These interrupts (caused by other background processes holding up Pro Tools processes for too long) had always been there, we just never threw an error and, instead, they showed up as clicks during playback. During the investigation, it was determined that these might cause clicks on input that could get written to the audio file - we didn't think that was acceptable, so we put in code that would throw a 6031 error instead.
Wait a second....this is a whole other bug altogether! I really think you tackled he wrong problem and source.

..and please return my calls to Digi HQ. I think I'm to 10 messages left the past few weeks.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Wait a second....this is a whole other bug altogether! I really think you tackled he wrong problem and source.

..and please return my calls to Digi HQ. I think I'm to 10 messages left the past few weeks.

Shane
Which one are you referring to?

This IS probably a bit confusing, as Meat, x9blade and odeu97 are posting in multiple threads with the same problem (6031's after updating to 8.0.1).

Can you email me with info about whom you've left messages with? I'm utterly swamped, but I can ping them to find out what's up...
Old 10-08-2009, 06:01 PM

I for 1 appreciate you keeping up on this issue Digi. I completely understand why you put the error message in, but I guess my big problem is that the 6031 error renders the program useless. I think there should be a check box in the next update to enable/disable this. I never experienced audible clicks or pops in 8.0 and now im pulling my hair out dealing with this error message.

I understand Pro Tools is a complex system, but I cannot record, or mix with this error completely halting the program. It shouldn't take an unbelievably flawless machine to be able to run Pro Tools. Especially for mid level guys like me who've invested thousands in Pro Tools HD and don't have the endless finances to higher on site computer techs to fix this issue. A better bet would be to allow playback or recording to continue and give the error message after the stop button is hit. That way I can decide how I want to deal with the problem that the 6031 is notifying me of and I can still work. Just some ideas for the next update. Thanks, and hopefully we can get this sorted out.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture Studios View Post
I think there should be a check box in the next update to enable/disable this.

That way I can decide how I want to deal with the problem that the 6031 is notifying me of and I can still work. Just some ideas for the next update.
Brilliant idea!!!!!!!!!! Digi.......are you listening???
Old 10-08-2009, 06:18 PM

dts, i give permission to delete my posts if it makes clearer for you and other digi personal. although, you and paul may have replied with some advice in some of my posts. maybe compile a list of some of your suggestion and make a new 6031 thread

of course i'm not speaking on behalf of the others you mentioned,just my posts,in efforts to get this problem sorted
Old 10-08-2009, 06:19 PM

meat, i'm reaching a bit here............ do you have native instruments kore 2 installed on your machine?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x9blade View Post
meat, i'm reaching a bit here............ do you have native instruments kore 2 installed on your machine?
Hell no!!! Have'nt used NI since 8 came out because 8 hated them.Have'nt loaded them on my 7.4 drive yet but they always worked fine in 7.4.I do use tons of Massey plugs and REFUSE to delete them.Massey's DTM is my savior and secret,secret weapon for lame drummers with shiatty sounding kits.Using that plug in their mix makes them think I am God.