Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-20-2006, 06:15 AM

Default MIDI problem during bounce

First, I kept getting messages that DAE couldn't get audio fast enough from the drive. I was using an external firewire drive, but the only thing i was trying to bounce was a very simple repeating midi note triggering a synth instrument. I disconnected the firewire drive altogether and tried just bouncing to my internal drive (brand new G4 1.67 powerbook with 1GB RAM) and got the same message, including the part about it possibly relating to the firewire drive possibly being too fragmented. After a restart, the bounce seemed to work, BUT the midi timing was completely f*cked, simple as it is. In playback, it works fine, but during bounce, instead of sounding like a simple repeating note, it varies a LOT.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

DIGI 002 R
PRO TOOLS 7.0
MAC OS 10.4.6
Old 04-20-2006, 09:13 AM

Default Re: MIDI problem during bounce

(standard disclaimer of "i may not know what i'm talking about" applies here...)

you may want to try bussing the aux of your midi insert to an audio track and then bounce that. i've never actually tried to bounce a running midi configuration before, so who knows, that may be possible, but i've never had a problem bouncing when i'm only bouncing audio tracks.

hope that's helpful,
steve
Old 04-21-2006, 12:25 AM

I'm probably an idiot, but if you haven't tried bouncing an active midi track to disk, how do you record your midi instrument's output to audio? Sorry, I'm new to midi in PT (was a cubase user for years but haven't used midi much in the past couple of years). I just assumed you have your midi tracks (playing plug-in virtual instruments) running alongside your audio tracks and then bounce the lot to disk when you've got the mix right. I could well be making a very basic mistake here - if so it would be great if someone could set me right!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:31 AM

>how do you record your midi instrument's output to audio

open an aux track and insert your virtual instrument. your midi track output is that virtual instrument. now send the output of your aux track to (say) bus 1-2 (if stereo). open an audio track whose input is bus 1-2. record arm the audio track and away you go!

it's entirely possible you *should* be able to bounce a midi track, but it never occured to me to try that!

steve