Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2010, 01:27 PM

Default problems with installation - AMD??

I bought the Pro tools recording studio today and was looking forward to installing it (after reading in a Music magazine that installation is very easy).
Unfortunately, I have been battling for the past 5 hours and still cannot get the Essentials software to work. I initially battled with the Fast Track, but after re-installing the updated driver from the site it now works with my other DAWs (Cubase Essentials, Acid Studio). However, I still cannot open the Essentials software. Whilst initializing, it comes up with an error regarding memory locations. I am using an AMD cpu, but have read on the box that it is compatible with AMD and Intel CPU's. I have been through all the FAQ's and cannot fiind a similar error. Can somebody please help?
The exact error reads as follows:

The instruction at "0x62238f60" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.

I have never had this type of error with any of my other DAW's.
I am using Windows XP SP2.
The CPU is AMD Athlon 2.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:52 PM

Default Re: problems with installation - AMD??

Hi,
An update to my problem. Still battling but will continue to try.
I have discovered that I had 2 different drivers on my pc (5133 and 5148). Upon installation, the system automatically installed 5133. I removed the 5133 driver and only left the 5128 driver on the pc. I re-installed and the correct driver (according to the m-audio website - 5128 for Windows XP SP2) is then installed. But I discovered in the control panel - Add/remove software - you do not actually see the driver - just somethings that says "fast track and is only 2.38 MB.

If I look in the m-audio icon dialogue box I can see that the driver is now 5128.

I re-installed the essentials software but still does not work. What I discovered is that whilst initializing, the process comes to a halt at the point when it says "setting up peripherals. Initializing machine control"

Any ideas?
Old 08-01-2010, 12:21 AM

Another update. Still not there but feel I'm getting closer (hopefully). For the first time after about 8 hours I have finally seen the Essentials studio screen.
The initialization process passed! But alas, it was only for a few seconds - it then gave me a fatal exception error message and crashed.

What is a bit strange is that my Cubase Essentials works well now with the Fast Track. I have had numerous problems with the Cubase Essentials and my previous sound card, the Behringer FCA202.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:11 PM

some progress but still not there yet. I can now open PT essentials - comes up with a template screen. I can also see the main screen. But after using it for a few minutes, I get an exception error. So the system is still not stable and I'm not sure why I am getting these errors. AS soon as the error pops up, the system either hangs or crashes.