Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2022, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Pro tools Studio and Hd Native.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
1 or a million inputs, the point is, if I wanted to, I could use the thunderbolt HD Native/Omni with Cubase, Reaper, Studio One, or any other DAW I wanted. But if I want to use it with Pro Tools, I have to fork out the big bucks. They're basically telling customers, "thanks for the dough, now go away."

Not really, though. For the first eight years of the ten years that HD Native cards were available, you could only ever buy them as complete hardware/software bundles. A HD native card always came with a HD/Ultimate license, and a HD/Ultimate license would always come with a HDX or HD Native card. You couldn't buy either separately. You're basically telling the users who forked out the big bucks over the years - those who purchased HD Hardware with Ultimate licenses, that you basically grabbed a cheap HD native card on eBay in ignorance and have now come to regret your decision.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see HD hardware supported in Pro Tools Studio but it has never happened in the past, and I don't really expect it to happen in the future. The users who paid 'the big bucks' forked out $999 to upgrade HD10 to HD11. Today users can upgrade HD10 to 2022.5 plus an extra year of support for just $375.00. You're complaining about the cost when it has literally never been cheaper...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:14 PM

Instead of Pro Tools Flex, maybe Pro Tools Ultimate should be renamed Pro Tools Helsinki. As in Helsinki Sweden.

I think Avid just goofed not allowing Studio to work with DigiLink, maybe leave HDX on Ultimate (and via Carbon with Studio) at least HD Native which would only be up to 64 IO, maybe that's coming, and at least doing away with the silly DigilLink licenses was one small improvement.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Instead of Pro Tools Flex, maybe Pro Tools Ultimate should be renamed Pro Tools Helsinki. As in Helsinki Sweden.

But why? I'm not the one yearning for 10 or 12 year old HD hardware. With the recent changes in Pro Tools Ultimate I/O and surges in used prices, I just happily sold two HDX cards for more than I paid for them 4 or 5 years ago and ain't looking back!

Obviously the grip Avid has over Pro Tools Studio users is a lot stronger than those using Ultimate.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
1 or a million inputs, the point is, if I wanted to, I could use the thunderbolt HD Native/Omni with Cubase, Reaper, Studio One, or any other DAW I wanted. But if I want to use it with Pro Tools, I have to fork out the big bucks. They're basically telling customers, "thanks for the dough, now go away."
You're trying to make a point, and that point is correct. Technically speaking, Avid has inserted an artificial wedge between their software and their hardware, a wedge you must pay to remove. It feels ironic that their hardware works with other DAWs for free, but NOT ProTools, Avid's own DAW.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
You're trying to make a point, and that point is correct. Technically speaking, Avid has inserted an artificial wedge between their software and their hardware, a wedge you must pay to remove. It feels ironic that their hardware works with other DAWs for free, but NOT ProTools, Avid's own DAW.

Or you can just buy one of these and watch the 'irony' flip to thickheadedness.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32521944391...0AAOSwOL5inUGF
Old 06-15-2022, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Or you can just buy one of these and watch the 'irony' flip to thickheadedness.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32521944391...0AAOSwOL5inUGF
I'm not sure what that card adds to the equation, and I would have to also buy an expansion chassis to use it with my MacBook. But the situation in view for me is, if you already have HD Native, and are sick of forking out as much for PT every year as you would pay for Cubase once, why keep paying? In my case, my company will keep the Ultimate license up to date. But I'm sure there are individual users who have jumped ship already because the math didn't add up anymore.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 06-17-2022, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
As in Helsinki Sweden.
....ehhhhh ...Sweden ?
CPU: Intel Core i9-10980XE
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER E-ATX
RAM: 64 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4
Screen card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XS OC
Old 06-17-2022, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandal View Post
....ehhhhh ...Sweden ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DieHardHVAC.jpg (34.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-17-2022, 08:05 AM

Well played sir

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-17-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
But I'm sure there are individual users who have jumped ship already because the math didn't add up anymore.
Many, many users have done this. Yet Avid does the math and continues business as they do. Our complaining (and I include myself) doesn't appear to be influential.