Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 10-11-2020, 01:38 AM

Default Delay compensation between MTRX an Avid I/O

I am running both a MTRX and an Avid I/O in my ProTools 2020 Ultimate setup
The MTRX automatically compensates between input and output and all input signals are presented to the outputs time aligned.
The Avid I/O is automatically delay compensated within the Pro Tools software if automatic delay compensation is activated.
However, the throughput delay in the Avid I/O is different to the throughput delay in the MTRX.
Does the automatic delay compensation in ProTools automatically delay compensate and time align inputs from both the Avid I/O and the MTRX or must further delay compensation be applied manually to get the MTRX and Avid I/O signals to be time aligned.
If this has to be done manually, how much delay compensation needs to be applied?
If necessary where should this delay compensation be applied? In the DADman software or in ProTools
Old 06-05-2022, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Delay compensation between MTRX an Avid I/O

Replying here because I have a similar question. We're considering adding an HD IO to our MTRX, but I'd like to know if the MTRX will pass the proper delay compensation numbers to ProTools, if we connect the HD IO via an HDX expander card in the MTRX.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:25 PM

Hi Welcome to DUC.

You are replying to a two year old question which never got a reply, so I suspect there might not be a rush of folks who know the answer (for sure).

[edit: sorry I misread this first as you already had a HD I/O]. I wished the OP had just measured this themselves. Maybe somebody else here will.

e.g. if the concern is HW insert comp?: Record a Click track to an audio track to use. Bus the audio track to two aux, H/W insert on each aux with straight through/loopback cable, one though the MTRX, one though the HD I/O, record to tracks and compare. Compare each track and the original.

If the concern is regular input time alignment you can just output a single track output to two similar output ports on say the MTRX (so output conversion latency is known to be the same), and loopback those outputs to inputs on the MTRX and HD I/O.

And unlike the original OP might be thinking latency comp does being on/off should not affect this compensation - that's for inserts, plugins and H/W inserts only.

Either should be simple to measure.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-06-2022 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyxmas12 View Post
Replying here because I have a similar question. We're considering adding an HD IO to our MTRX, but I'd like to know if the MTRX will pass the proper delay compensation numbers to ProTools, if we connect the HD IO via an HDX expander card in the MTRX.
The MTRX will have different insert latencies depending on the patching so, unfortunately you’ll have to calculate them manually. It’s frustrating but there’s probably no better solution unless DADman were closely integrated with Pro Tools.

Also, you can only connect the HD I/O to a HDX card, not to the MTRX. I think only the Waves DigiGrid interfaces support this kind of “reverse” DigiLink.