Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-09-2013, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Communication with Eleven Rack Failure

Albee is asking for information that's critical to being able to accurately diagnose the problem.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Default Communication with Eleven Rack Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kroner View Post
albee,

if you can tell really important to bring us a step further ... you´re welcome ..
everything is said .... and by the way .... it´s thomas-m´s thread.

I just wanna help cause he´s from germany´like me ... so we can comunicate in our own language which is ... maybe less easier.
sometimes things don´t come easy in english.

I don´t have sandra installed yet .

sry ... yes ... you´ve been a nag.

thx
You have just piled onto somebody else's thread and are doing nothing to help but confuse the situation. we are really hoping for answers from the OP. If you still have a problem please go start another thread or resurrect the past thread.

Its not clear at all if you both are even using the Eleven Rack as an interface or not, and there still is not a clue from Sandra about important things like USB2 or USB3 etc.

And it's nice you are trying to help but it sounds like you have not even sorted out your own problem, and you are still confused and failing to follow the optimization instructions that are very clearly written (unfortunately not in German AFAIK). Other folks here have Eleven Racks running fine on Mac and Windows and have solved our own connectivity problems in the past, so maybe you should step aside and let others deal with the original post/issue.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:59 PM

Hi everybody,
thanks for your statements, what I tried:
* All 4 USB ports, 2 USB2, 2 USB3 sure connected directly=> no influence
* Power management is turned off
* USB power management is turned off
I suppose there is maybe one program or system setting that changes driver settings.
Also I observed less problems before one windows update last year...
If anybody has an answer - let us know!
Thomas

Re
Old 03-10-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas-m View Post
Hi everybody,
thanks for your statements, what I tried:
* All 4 USB ports, 2 USB2, 2 USB3 sure connected directly=> no influence
* Power management is turned off
* USB power management is turned off
I suppose there is maybe one program or system setting that changes driver settings.
Also I observed less problems before one windows update last year...
If anybody has an answer - let us know!
Thomas

Re
Thomas, are you using the Eleven Rack as the audio interface in Pro Tools, e.g. is it selected as the Setup>Playback Engine? Or are you using another interface and just trying to get the Eleven Rack control window to appear in Pro Tools? What exact version of Pro Tools are you using?

I would unplug as many other USB devices as possible and only use a USB2 port for now while you test other things. Be sure to try a different USB2 cable that is known to work with other devices... we've certainly seen some cable relate problems with the Eleven Rack before.

If you reboot your computer with the Eleven Rack attached but powered off. Let the computer fully boot, then turn on the Eleven Rack. Start up Pro Tools while holding down 'N' and select the Eleven Rack as the playback engine. Create an empty session. Does that all work?

How exactly are you determining the Eleven Rack does not work? Please double check in Setup>Playback Engine that the Eleven Rack is selected as the playback engine. With Pro Tools 10 (and 9) is easy to get confusing behavior where sessions will appear to default to the wrong playback engine, and can pick the internal audio device for example, and there has certainly been cases of folks here where that caused them to think the Eleven Rack had stopped connecting as an interface over USB.

Could you also please post a Sandra report, as described under the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this page, it is a little work to get Sandra installed but it is very useful and often uncovers problems. You can check other threads here for what the correct output of a Sandra report looks like (just search for "Sandra").

I lost in all this if you have ever tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest driver for the Eleven Rack. uninstall, reboot and then reinstall the drivers all without the Eleven Rack connected (you do not want plug and play getting in the way here). http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...n-Rack-Drivers
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM

Hi Darryl,
11r is used as audio interface, no other interfaces are connected, PT10 10.3.2.

Further USB devices: Hard drive, iLok, mouse, that's it.
Cable: I'll try some more this week...

Failure description: After opening a session (new or existing) a Window opens that says "connection problems with 11r, click retry or cancel", after retry the window shows up again, click on canel => everything seems to be fine in the first moment, but:
* crackels during recording (are recorded) an playback
* missing Eleven Rack in WIndows Menu

Playback engine is set correctly to eleven rack, before crossgrading from Pro Tools LE, I observed the same problems...
Old 03-11-2013, 03:39 PM

I would really suspect the USB cabling here. I've seen exactly this behavior with some USB cables. Make sure the cable is not jumbled up with other cables/power cables, and has a short direct run between the PC and Eleven Rack.

As mentioned before I would also definitely try uninstalling and reinstalling the Eleven Rack driver.

We still don't have a Sandra report so lots of things are not answered/clear.

Make sure you are not chasing two separate problems, Crackling/pops etc. is a very common problem caused by under-spec or misconfigured Pro Tools systems. Your crackling problem might be USB, it might be this other stuff. Again if we ever get a Sandra report out of you we will know more. A Sandra report with you clarifying which disk partition is used for boot/system, audio/session files and any VI samples you are using.

Along the line of making sure you are not chasing multiple problems. I just want to make sure you know about this: If your computer is a laptop and you ever close the lid/suspend or if it's a desktop and you manually suspend that you will lock up the Eleven Rack driver and need to reboot the PC. (so different than what you are describing here) Make sure the computer never gets suspended--that's why power management is disabled in the optimizations, but that does not stop somebody manually suspending/sleeping the computer.

Darryl
Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM

Hi Darryl,
1st test with another USB cable has been succesful (as short as possible ~30cm) - thanks and hopefully it will keep on running...

SANDRA - I never did that before, so I hope the following result helps...
SiSoftware Sandra

System
Modell : MEDION E7221 MEDION Family

Gehäuse : MEDION Notebook
Mainboard : MEDION E7221

System BIOS : AMI (OEM) 206 04/13/2012
Intel vPro : 8.00.04.1441
Gesamtspeicher : 7.9GB DDR3 SO-DIMM

Prozessor(en)
Prozessor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (2C 4T 3.09GHz, 3.1GHz IMC, 2x 256kB L2, 3MB L3)
Sockel/Slot : FC PGA988

Chipsatz
Speichercontroller : 6922 Core (Ivy Bridge) Mobile DRAM Controller 100MHz, 2x 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 1.33GHz 128-bit, Interne Grafikeinheit

Speichermodul(e)
Speichermodul : Hynix (Hyundai) HMT451S6MFR8C-H9 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM PC3-10700S DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)
Speichermodul : Hynix (Hyundai) HMT451S6MFR8C-H9 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM PC3-10700S DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)

Grafiksystem
Monitor : LGD PnP-Monitor (Standard) (1600x1200, LP173WD1-TLP5, 17.1")
Grafikkarte : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (16CU 16SP SM5.0 350MHz/1.1GHz, 64MB DDR3 1.33GHz/3GHz 128-bit, Interne Grafikeinheit)

Grafikprozessor
OpenCL GP-Prozessor : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (16SP 16C 350MHz/1.1GHz, 1.6GB DDR3 1.33GHz/3GHz 128-bit, Interne Grafikeinheit)
Compute Shader Prozessor : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (16SP 350MHz/1.1GHz, 64MB DDR3 1.33GHz/3GHz 128-bit, Interne Grafikeinheit)

Physische Speichergeräte
Seagate ST9500325AS (500.1GB, SATA150, 2.5", 5400rpm, 8MB Cache) : 466GB (C:) (D:)
SAMSUNG HD502HJ (500.1GB, USB2/SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache) : 466GB (F:)
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-208BB (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 1MB Cache) : k.A. (E:)

Logischer Speichergeräte
Festplatte : 100MB (NTFS)
Monster (F:) : 466GB (NTFS) @ SAMSUNG HD502HJ (500.1GB, USB2/SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache)
Boot (C:) : 415GB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST9500325AS (500.1GB, SATA150, 2.5", 5400rpm, 8MB Cache)
Recover (D:) : 50GB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST9500325AS (500.1GB, SATA150, 2.5", 5400rpm, 8MB Cache)
CD-ROM/DVD (E:) : k.A. @ TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-208BB (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 1MB Cache)

Peripherie
LPC Hub Controller 1 : 6922 Panther Point LPC Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : T0 00-00
Audio Gerät : 6922 Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Codec : Realtek Semi High Definition Audio
Laufwerkscontroller : 6922 Panther Point Mobile 6 port SATA AHCI Controller
USB Controller 1 : 6922 Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : 6922 Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
USB Controller 3 : 6922 Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
System SMBus Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Drucker- und Faxgeräte
Drucker : Samsung ML-2580 Series (1200x1200, Farbwiedergabe)
Drucker : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Farbwiedergabe)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Netzwerkdienste
Netzwerkadapter : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) (Ethernet)
Netzwerkadapter : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Ethernet)
Drahtlosadapter : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230 (802.11g (ERP), AES-CCMP, 117Mbps)

Energieverwaltung
Batterie Nr. 1 : A17 A15--22 47.30Wh/3.82Ampere pro Stunde

Betriebssystem
Windowssystem : Microsoft Windows 7 Home 6.01.7601 (Service Pack 1)
Kompatibel mit Plattform : x64

Windows Leistungsindex
Aktuelles System : 5.6
Old 03-12-2013, 01:12 PM

Great. I've seen this with a short <5' cable and and currently running with long ~18' cable, which magically works great.

Good to see you have a second hard drive, and hopefully your audio/session content is on the F: partition on that drive. Not doing that can cause pops, clicks, noise bursts, etc. like you may have heard. Nothing else shows up as obvious problems on the Sandra report.

Darryl
Old 03-12-2013, 01:13 PM

Default Communication with Eleven Rack Failure

For what it's worth, I myself had several USB cables that wouldn't work with the eleven rack, but worked fine for other purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 PM

Hi Darryl,
sure, audio content is on F.
Thanks again and regards
Thomas