Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-24-2021, 05:48 PM

Default Access Google drive or dropbox from older browser?

Hey gents, I just went to get files off my google drive and it says my browser is not up too date so I can't access. I also can't update because I'm on an older cheesegrater (3.33 6 core) which I think I'm at the last OS version before having to buy a video card.
I have Google chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 and Safari Version 6.2.8 running on Mac OS 10.8.5.

Is there a workaround to get into google drive or dropbox? Really sucks that they force crap on you and don't let you just keep using an older version ughhhhhh
Old 11-24-2021, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Access Google drive or dropbox from older browser?

Look into TenFourFox, WaterFox, ArcticFox, or Chromium Legacy. I don’t remember which OS each supports but I recall these were open source solutions for a modern browser on old OS’s at one time.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-24-2021, 07:09 PM

3.33 6 core... you mean a MacPro 5,1? aka 2012 Mac Pro? Please just give the actual model or even better the EMC number.

You are on 10.8.5 Mountain Lion.
You need a metal capable GPU to upgrade to Mojave 10.14
You can go beyond Mojave if you want.

So I don't follow your GPU comment.

The "crap" they are forcing on you is in part for trust and security.

A macpro 5,1 cheesegrater is a fantastic platform to upgrade, you can be running NVMe drives, and if more adventures quite recent macOS releases. No clue what Pro Tools release you want/need to run. These are well loved by folks because of how upgradeable they are, if you are not going to upgrade it maybe you should sell it to somebody who will. And if you really don't want to upgrade then the easy solution is get another computer to do your file transfers on.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adupr View Post
Hey gents, I just went to get files off my google drive and it says my browser is not up too date so I can't access. I also can't update because I'm on an older cheesegrater (3.33 6 core) which I think I'm at the last OS version before having to buy a video card.
I have Google chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 and Safari Version 6.2.8 running on Mac OS 10.8.5.

Is there a workaround to get into google drive or dropbox? Really sucks that they force crap on you and don't let you just keep using an older version ughhhhhh

Hi,

I'm on 10.8.5 using firefox and no problems. using google drive every day.

Also don't have a problem using chrome when i have to access Baidu (Chinese google)

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:48 PM

Browser extentions like ad blockers might cause problems sometimes.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

I'm on 10.8.5 using firefox and no problems. using google drive every day.

Also don't have a problem using chrome when i have to access Baidu (Chinese google)

Chris
Hey Chris, how did you get Firefox? I went to download and it says it doesn't support 10.8.5
Old 12-01-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
3.33 6 core... you mean a MacPro 5,1? aka 2012 Mac Pro? Please just give the actual model or even better the EMC number.

You are on 10.8.5 Mountain Lion.
You need a metal capable GPU to upgrade to Mojave 10.14
You can go beyond Mojave if you want.

So I don't follow your GPU comment.

The "crap" they are forcing on you is in part for trust and security.

A macpro 5,1 cheesegrater is a fantastic platform to upgrade, you can be running NVMe drives, and if more adventures quite recent macOS releases. No clue what Pro Tools release you want/need to run. These are well loved by folks because of how upgradeable they are, if you are not going to upgrade it maybe you should sell it to somebody who will. And if you really don't want to upgrade then the easy solution is get another computer to do your file transfers on.
What is a good metal GPU that I could pick up?

I purchased a Mac mini 3.2 6 core intel i7 planning to make the switch but just have been slammed with studio work and need to keep going. That's why I'm still on the 5.1.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
What is a good metal GPU that I could pick up?

I purchased a Mac mini 3.2 6 core intel i7 planning to make the switch but just have been slammed with studio work and need to keep going. That's why I'm still on the 5.1.
If you have a Mac Mini then when you have time I would get that onto the macOS and Pro Tools/plugin versions where you want to be on, all new installs from the latest/compatible installers and absolutely make sure it's solid and then if you want to upgrade the 5,1 migrate that install there.

As for the 5,1 I would start by making sure you have everything backed up (and backup(s) ideally on a drive removed from computer). Hopefully you find a path where you can get that known working macOS install off the Mac Mini onto the Mac Pro -- find a metal card that run under your current installed Mac Pro macOS and then cloning the Mac Mini onto an external USB drive and then booting off that on the Mac Pro. And then clone to an internal drive.

Ultimately as you upgrade stuff if it was my Mac I'd also convert over the PCIe NVMe SSD drives if you have free PCIe slot as they are so fast (as you'll hopefully see on the Mac Mini).

A wonderful resource about Mac Pro upgrades is... http://blog.greggant.com/posts/2018/...ade-guide.html

I've not messed with Mac Pro Cheesegraters recently so others might have a better take on current metal compatible GPUs, and the optimization may not be the lowest cost, but you want performance as well (and maybe higher resolution monitor (which needs more power as well) support etc.). Also see this recent Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/macpro/comm...hics_card_for/
Old 12-05-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:

You're using an OS that is 7-10 years old. You are going to have lots of trouble with browsers. Your mac should be able to go to High Sierra macOS 10.13 with no upgrading of a video card. With an upgraded GPU, you can officially go to Mojave 10.14 and run the latest PT 2021.10, fully supported.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.