Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2019, 08:26 AM

Default Major MIDI problems

Not necessarily PT 2019.5 related as I've been having this problem for a while now through multiple versions of PT, but when recording MIDI I'm getting random notes 'sticking' within the actual MIDI clip recording (please see photo).

You can hear the culprit notes sustaining during recording and playback, when they occur.

The problem does only seems to occur when using a sustain pedal, but it happens with random notes, and can occur when the sustain pedal is not actually being held down.

I've tried multiple MIDI workstations (both a digital piano + a workstation), multiple sustain pedals, multiple MIDI cables, & played around with all sorts of settings to try & source the problem via 'process of elimination', but still cannot figure out why I'm getting this. Unfortuantely everything points to a PT setting or my cofiguration, rather than my hardware.

To be completely honest, I am not a MIDI expert at all!! So chances are I'm doing something wrong, settings or hardware setup wise!

I've been taking a MIDI cable OUT of the digital piano and IN to the back of my Focusrite Clarett8Pre USB. Am running PT 2019.5 and the latest version of Windows 10. I've been recording straight to a stereo instrument track, usually with the Mini Grand plugin for testing.
I have also tested recording to a MIDI track and have created my digital piano in MIDI studio setup, but the problem still occurs.

Any help/advice/things to try would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MIDI Sustain Problem.jpg (15.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-17-2019, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Major MIDI problems

There's no setting that I know of in PT that would cause this. To rule out incoming MIDI issues get the MIDI-OX utility and run it in standalone mode. It will tell you what's coming from your MIDI keyboards/sustain pedal.

Is this happening on different notes or always on the same note? If the latter you could have a problematic key but I doubt that considering you said it happens across multiple input devices (keyboards).

And for you Mac users the MIDI utility to get is snoize.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 05-17-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Major MIDI problems

You can try Restore Performance under Event Operations to see if you have anything set that's causing issues -maybe Input Quantize is enabled. Also, the only thing you haven't tried swapping out is the Clarett. Do you have another MIDI interface you can try? Latest driver installed? Could be a driver issue. Have you disabled power management on the Clarett USB ports? Just a couple of things to look at.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1