Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2009, 05:38 PM

Default Structure Drag and Drop? Nope, not here...

For the life of me, Structure will not let me drag and drop anything from my ProTools tracks, onto Structure, neither onto the patch list, or onto the mapping editor.

I have a blank patch, a template, and I need to get the regions from PT timeline onto the mapping editor, and I don't want to have to bounce out the files to the finder, where drag and drop works!

So why can't I drag a region from the PT timeline? You seem them do it in the demo, and yet, it will not work for me. This is really the only way I'm interested in using structure, to quickly take something from my timeline and 'sample' it.

Any insight greatly greatly appreciated.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Structure Drag and Drop? Nope, not here...

OK, Structure is @&(@&%(@&*(%

Seriously, what the HELL is going on here.

I drag something from my region list to the patch list, OR the mapping editor. If to the patch list, it makes a new patch, but then I have the red arrow saying 'part contains no samples'.

If to the mapping editor, I see at the bottom of the screen 'importing xxx', and then, voila. Nothing. Nada. Nothing is mapped.

I remember why I gave up on this thing about 2 hours into the Beta program. Does this work for anyone out there? Dragging and dropping reliably from the region list or from the PT timeline into structure mapping area?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:20 PM

To anyone curious or that might be able to help, please watch the following screen video I made:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/367271/2009-05-05_1815.swf

In it, I

1) Drag a mono sample from the finder directly into Structure, and play a few notes, works great.

2) take the SAME file, and now drop it onto a mono track first. Then take it and drag it into structure. Structure makes a patch, but then tells me no samples are loaded!!!!

Ridiculous.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Hey Tim, I think this is a Major Bug that Russ actually uncovered in his Air User's Blog - I just can't remember which Video it was... But I DO remember it being discussed.

I'm sure it's just a matter, as many bugs, as waiting for an update.

use the Digidesign Bug Report Form, and be sure to link to your video, to be sure that it gets reported.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-05-2009, 09:50 PM

Well good to know at least it's not just me. I'll make sure to report it. It's really annoying as it seems to work fine in their demo movie!

Tim
Old 05-05-2009, 10:54 PM

It works sometimes with me but mostly it doesnt. The only way to avoid frustration is to save them as regions in Protools then drag them from the designated folder.
But this aint nothing. When I drag from a folder sometimes protools [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]s itself completely and i gota start again. And pisses me off more.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:27 PM

Hello Digi!? At least maybe respond here that you've seen this thread and logged it as a bug. I also sent it in through the bug reporting link.

But honestly, this is a bug about 'basic functionality' of your plugin? Not some random thing, this affects the very workflow!

Please chime in.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Avid

I just tested this and cannot repeat the results you're seeing - it works fine for me every time.

I tried to view the video you posted, but it gave me a 404 error.

In Pro Tools do you have 'automatically copy on import' selected?

What is the name of the file and it's file path? Is it possible there are any illegal characters in the name or file path (consider anything other than A-Z or 0-9 to be illegal for the moment)? If you move the file to a different drive first, then try to import it using the same steps, does it work?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:01 PM

Well I think I finally got to the bottom of it. It appears that in PT8 and Leopard, not sure which is the cause, having a • in the path was the cause. When I removed that from the path, it works fine. Go figure. I've been using • in pathnames since PT3 Probably, and never had an issue. I have lots of sessions in paths that use that, but somehow Structure freaks out about it.

Still having plenty of other issues with Structure, the UI graphics tend to go a bit buggy and it still crashes my computer far too often, but at least THAT one seems to have been solved.

Is there some comprehensive list of characters I can't use in pathnames?

This is the kind of stuff that drives one nuts! I guess to be safe I should not use ANY characters, but I often need separators, I'm assuming _ is safe, but I guess • no longer is.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Avid

Quote:
Is there some comprehensive list of characters I can't use in pathnames?
Yes, it's in the Reference Guide. The types of characters have changed to conform with Windows and OS X unicode over the last couple versions. You're still safe with underscores!