Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-17-2022, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Existing Perpetual License Owners

I have just bought the plugins I wanted from this bundle over the years. You can't be in a position of having sessions that may need to be recalled relying on subscriptions. With the rules changing so often at Avid it is better to know you own the iLok asset.

I'm not sure if you can buy them from Avid any longer, but they show up on eBay.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
I have just bought the plugins I wanted from this bundle over the years.
Likewise, I've been purchasing the AVID plugins that I use the most (Pro Bundle, HEAT, Eleven MkII, etc).

Only a few AVID plugins are available at the AVID store, but most are still available at Sweetwater (and other retailers).

Eventually I will be very old and retired from even browsing the internet, but I expect my Mac trashcan to still be around and able to run Pro Tools !
Old 05-18-2022, 10:28 PM

The attempt at clarity from Chris is appreciated, but it is Avids marketing and business model that has warranted his attempt at clarification.

Apart from "renting the plugins" from my perpetual license, (Extortion point one, Which are all AVID plugins and ONLY work inside Pro Tools, so why are we renting them if we own the DAW that they exclusively run in) my biggest bitch at AVID's latest marketing monopoly, is that my "ULTIMATE" (please, oh please consult the English dictionary on that word) Perpetual (please oh please consult the English dictionary on that word as well!) license has now been rendered SUB ULTIMATE by a FLEX of the AVID fiscal philosophy.
Previously the HDX card suffered for years less voices than the Native solution.
I have owned every version of Hardware and software since Sound Tools and Audiomedia cards (which by the way, previously included all the Digidesign plugins when you were on the top tier, before the production bundles were announced to the lower tiers and then vaporized) and have seen my investment decimated only to reinvest again ad again (You know the sayinf.... fool me once)

I can honestly ask Chris, with a question to your question....are you honestly SURPRISED at the customer bases reaction?
Old 06-29-2022, 02:05 AM

Well, I’m off the train - and it’s all thanks to Avid’s kind generosity.

Just got an Ultimate reinstatement license from AudioDeluxe ($250 off for the next day or two). That’s only $100 more than the annual support plan. In other words, after just 3 months without staying current, I’ll have broken even. Every month afterwards, I save money.

Yes, I lose the plugin bundle, but the only thing I ever use is X-Form. And I recently got Waves’ SoundShifter which works in TC/E ($30 vs $500 for an X/Form permanent license)

But the thing that finally swung it was realising that Avid have given Ultimate customers very little for the last 2-3 years. I could pay $399 a year upfront in the eternal hope that after 15-20 years folders in the clip bin are right round the corner. Or I could just wait until they actually appear, then cash in the reinstatement.

I don’t think it’s news to anyone that times are hard, for individuals and businesses. Squeezing on the unnecessary outgoings is the most obvious place to start, and I just don’t get nearly enough value from the support plan. Time to start treating my valuable perpetual license as, well, perpetual.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-24-2022, 09:23 AM

Im using pt v11 bundle. it still works after almost a decade but I'm just now trying to upgrade and it gives me no option on my avid account. very confusing. even buying the support plan to find help isn't straight forward. Can i purchase a reinstatement upgrade from an avid reseller and it on pt 11 bundle? I only mention bundle because no where does it say "perpetual license" yet I still have an active license on my ilok with a working pt 11. But if my assumptions, that it is perpetual are wrong, then I might lose 300$ bucks for a reinstatement plan that won't work.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumdropsteve View Post
Im using pt v11 bundle. it still works after almost a decade but I'm just now trying to upgrade and it gives me no option on my avid account. very confusing. even buying the support plan to find help isn't straight forward. Can i purchase a reinstatement upgrade from an avid reseller and it on pt 11 bundle? I only mention bundle because no where does it say "perpetual license" yet I still have an active license on my ilok with a working pt 11. But if my assumptions, that it is perpetual are wrong, then I might lose 300$ bucks for a reinstatement plan that won't work.
Just pitching in with what I know.
Avid has stopped selling reinstatements for perpetual licenses with expired support plans, but resellers might still have them.
If you should happen to find one, it's simply a code that you enter on the avid buy page (in any time in the future), and your ilok license will become valid for the latest PT version, and you get upgrade/support/pluginsbundle/etc for one year. After that you can renew, or not.

I have a reinstatement I bought last year (see my signature).
Old 09-24-2022, 12:58 PM

Only problem here, sorry Avid, is the confusing terminology. People do not understand what they are buying, or worse, when they need something they have no clue.

1) perpetual license... sigh, just call it a license.
2) subscription, it is what it is. say it streaight ahead: if you do not pay you do not use the software. latest version only. some perks included.
3) support plan is what gets most people confused. it is the cream on top of the license but nowhere it is said clearly enough that you may lose your upgrades if you let your support plan lapse. yes it is there, but average american cannot read more than five words in a minute.
4) and i have not found a page from avid.com that says you can only request older than 12.6 versions from avid support if you have active support plan. download center is great but for obvious reasons limited to 12.6 and later.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:22 PM

A perfect example of why plugins included in the subscription are frustrating:

UVI Falcon was included in that bundle. Most of us thought that meant that we could use that plugin as long as the perpetual license and Update/support plan were current.

Nope! All of a sudden they must have decided to break their deal with Avid. Without seeing any warning, all of a sudden I no longer had a license to use UVI Falcon unless I bought it.

Like others have mentioned, I rarely use the included plugins that come with being current with the update plan because there is no guarantee that I can still use these plugins if I am current or if I ever realize that there is a reason not to be current in the update plan.

I too agree that it would be nice to see Avid just finally include some of these plugins to the Ultimate/Flex users permanently/perpetually.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 09-25-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
but average american cannot read more than five words in a minute.
That was unnecessary. I'm surprised you can type that much sitting in the sauna.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
That was unnecessary. I'm surprised you can type that much sitting in the sauna.
Yea, I take it back. But you would be amazed how much we type in sauna now that phones have been waterproof for over 5 years...