Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-20-2017, 07:37 AM

Default Why are Avid Interfaces Not supported on High Sierra ?

Anybody know why Pro Tools supports High Sierra but "Avid Audio Interface drivers " are not yet ? Is there any indication that this might be corrected quickly, or will this take 3 years like Avid HD Core Audio did ??? Or is the documentation simply out of date or incorrect ? Some informed clarity would be helpful ..

The confusion is from this Knowledge Base page ( dated Dec 19 ) info http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...13-High-Sierra

Quote : Avid Audio Interface Drivers
macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) is not supported at this time.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-20-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Why are Avid Interfaces Not supported on High Sierra ?

you mean like mbox, c600 etc?

I have to say, Avid have been on top of their game continuously with updated drivers for their stuff, and perhaps they had to just stop at some point with legacy stuff. I have been very impressed with the mbox drivers.

On another note, high sierra is something I never want to have to install. Ever. It is apparently going to kill all 32 bit app support in the future, as well as already having other incompatibilities. I need my 32 bit apps! I have some i really use! Like studio calc for example, from exponential, can't live without it! Not to mention some of my hardware not having drivers.

I feel sorry for anyone who buys a new mac and is forced into HS..

if you have a mac that can use sierra, that is what i recommend to do.

(PS this is why i will get a trashcan mac pro 8 core just before they are axed and the prices drop a bit, as i can install sierra on those by force, they have 6 normal thunderbolt 2 ports, and will last me 10 years for sure.)
Old 12-20-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
you mean like mbox, c600 etc?

I have to say, Avid have been on top of their game continuously with updated drivers for their stuff, and perhaps they had to just stop at some point with legacy stuff. I have been very impressed with the mbox drivers.

On another note, high sierra is something I never want to have to install. Ever. It is apparently going to kill all 32 bit app support in the future, as well as already having other incompatibilities. I need my 32 bit apps! I have some i really use! Like studio calc for example, from exponential, can't live without it! Not to mention some of my hardware not having drivers.

I feel sorry for anyone who buys a new mac and is forced into HS..

if you have a mac that can use sierra, that is what i recommend to do.

(PS this is why i will get a trashcan mac pro 8 core just before they are axed and the prices drop a bit, as i can install sierra on those by force, they have 6 normal thunderbolt 2 ports, and will last me 10 years for sure.)
The documentation says "Avid Audio Interface drivers " it does not say anything about legacy devices ?? So no I am talking Avid interfaces as pe the documentation which would include those I would assume .

And I am not trying to bash Avid but in fact It took them 3 years to update the HD drivers so many 3rd party apps would work with Core Audio for the current HD I/O's
Like my Omni...

I Personally no longer use any 32 bit apps I am aware of , and would simply like some clarification if HS will work with my Omni

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-20-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:33 PM

I hope Avid update the Eleven Rack driver to full compatibility with High Sierra
Old 12-20-2017, 02:05 PM

Have a read of this:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...pro-tools-1283

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 12-20-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Outstanding thanks octa.. I thought that was a possibility and why one of my question was if the KN. Base page was out of date. thanks again. I am using HD native so I am now Kev, the happy camper Oh snap now I have to decide if I really want to bother to download HS

In answer to TMN's question according to the PT Expert article that octatonic linked " The MBox 3, Mox Mini 3, Mbox Pro 3, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools Quartet, Pro Tools Duet, Fast Track C600, Fast Track C400, Fast Track Duo and Fast Track Solo are all currently listed as not compatible with macOS 10.13.2."

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-20-2017 at 04:51 PM.