Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2009, 02:33 AM

Default Snare leaking and peaking my mix

/// anybody know a good tool to mix snares i am getting a good electro kick from boom really loud but not clipping with a guitar sound in the lower mids but when i add a snare the master buss clips like a moth""fu??er ?? i tried kill eq and other methods to make sure there is no leak in the lower frequencies from the snare but i've been tweaking away and getting clips i think i am gonna go ambient // i also noticed trentmoller as really low snares with loud kicks in is mixes when i was analog this did not happen to me so is this a result of the digital age^^^

Trentemøller: Moan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAQWp...rom=PL&index=9
Old 08-20-2009, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Snare leaking and peaking my mix

If your master bus is clipping then you mix levels are probably too high, after all the master bus sums all of the tracks. Try reducing the overall level faders of the mix, this will also give you some headroom for mastering. Another option is to just pull down the master fader to stop the clips but probably not recommended.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:23 AM

When it comes to snares, compression is your friend! But in terms of just mixing---always start with a good drum and bass mix first and I think you'll find yourself in a better range. What I mean is, get that and then bring everything else in. I often see where others mix by doing everything at once---no need for that. If your drums aren't solid first, your mix can't be in the end.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:13 AM

// .b. thanks
Drums first for sure but i also know some people who go for the full vocal center sound first then the highs and then the low end last!! to a/b between these two sounds like a good idea to me, but right now i am trying a new setup approach and doing only flat mixes of the drum and bass to later add fx once i am balanced but can't seem to crank the kick and snare at high levels (-0.02db) without clipping easy. Can anyone suggest a good compressor for this:::thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 AM

"kick and snare at high levels (-0.02db) without clipping"

I think that's the problem right there. Back those tracks down and turn up your monitors a bit(so you don't feel like you lost all the impact). If you imagine the mix bus receiving a few dozen tracks that are all hitting in the last db of headroom, when those signals get combined, the final level will be over -0 for sure. I used to always record hot and then use plugins that would often push individual track levels right to the top(just barely below clip) and the final 2 mix would end up sounding crunchy. The solution was to relax everything(and record at 24 bit for the headroom). Now my 2mixes are nice and clean(and the master never hits red).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave