Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 10:58 AM

Default Anybody using UAD powered plug-ins in PTLE on Mac?

I'm currently running a ton of Plugs on my sytem (Dual 1.25 G4), and I need more DSP. I've been looking at the UAD-1 project pack. Has anyone tried this in PTLE? I'm currently running OS 10.2.3 and PT 6.1.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Anybody using UAD powered plug-ins in PTLE on Mac?

I'm running a dual 2.0 G5 002rack with two UAD cards, 6G RAM.

I swear by the UAD plugins, but with PTLE, you're not gonna be tracking with them. The latency with everything added up is about five or six minutes, give or take a couple seconds.

That being said, the UAD plugins are the last I would give up since they sound so durn good. I also use URS eq's, McDSP eq and comp, Sony comp, etc etc. Mostly I use the UAD plugs on the mixbuss (usually I'll have an 1176 or a Farichild, a Pultec and a Precision Limiter stacked up, depending what I'm doing. Plus the EMT 140 on a reverb bus.)

In the case of the UAD card, it's not about the extra processing power for PTLE users, although that's what got me looking into it in the first place. I think the UAD actually robs the system of overall processing power [meaning a net loss.] I'd actually prefer that they were RTAS without the PCI card. My system's been stable enough since I got the RAM count up.

Seriously, though. I bought it on the strength of a Fairchild processed vocal that was sent to me, but the Pultec, 76, LA2A, P-Limiter and EMT140 are all great.

Add to that the fact that the EMT was $150 and the Prec Limiter was $200. That's the least I've ever paid for some of the best plugins around.

Oh, I asked some trained ears about the diff between the BF versions and the UA versions. Most say it's the UA versions by a mile (sorry digi...we've all paid our $$$ though). The prices don't begin to compare, either. The only one I've been able to compare is the 1176. My opinion (and it's just that, an opinion!) is that the BF 1176-don't bother. The UA 1176-don't mix without it.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:12 PM

Oh: get the Studio Pak, not the Project Pak. Once you hear the demos, you're gonna end up wanting all of 'em. On the other hand, if you can't spring for the whole boat, the Project gets you in and you can add 'em one at a time. AND they're not overpriced.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:34 PM

Ok, so here's the deal,
I want to be able to use the DSP of the UAD-1 in conjunction with my DIGI002R and mac powerbook G4 1.33 in live situations.
Can anyone share tips about using a UAD-1 on a live boards inserts in order to access plugins?
I'm dying to use my ProTools and a UAD-1's dsp to put a 1176 on a drum buss, a Pultec on the band or LA2A on vocals group, etc.
Like having a big rack of high end gear, minus the weight!
But what about latency? And the buffers? Delay compensation works only on tracked audio...
You see, I would not actually record to track but just use aux inputs and process those with the plugs...
So what about latency if you dont record?

Plus, so far the only way to use the UAD-1 live with my laptop would be to use it with a Magma expansion chassis, and FXpansion. Quite an serious investment so I want to be sure before doing this...
Anyone uses this setup in live situations?
Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,

LoZion

PS: Just in case this sounds unclear, this is what I mean:
1-Patch 002R I/O's 1-8 to mixer's inserts send&returns,
2-Create template using 4 stereo aux inputs with I/O's set to 1-8,
3-Insert desired UAD stereo plugins on each inputs.

Of course this can be expanded into 8 mono inserts or even 16 if using additionnal adat lightpipe I/O.

Powerbook G4 1.33 768 Meg 15"
DIGI002R PT 6.4
Vintage FXs and comps...
Old 12-07-2004, 02:46 PM

your powerbook should have enough processing power for your needs without the uad card - just buy the bombfactory LA-2A plug and go.

for live projects, you will have to get your total latency below 10ms, which means maxx 256 hardware buffer and (currently) no UAD/POWERCORE.

i did such a gig just yesterday, using five BF76's, five focusrite D3 comps, five URS n-serie eq's for processing five vocalists. there was other plugs in use too, but you get the picture. it's such an easy job for such a powerful laptop.

i think those extra-dsp addons are only good in studio where you don't worry about latency. in a live situation everything after 10ms gets noticed, so you really must know what you can use and how much. you have exactly one shot to do everything right.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:04 PM

Thanks JFreak,
Cool, finally someone who does this live... I've been luking here and on the UAD-1 forum trying to figure this out... Here are a few more questions if I may:

Now, after making a few tests, I would say 128 samples buffer is doable with 4 stereo or 8 mono plugins (my available i/o for now) and my cpu doesnt get taxed. Why I thought about the uad is because I thought that the bf plugs were just not as good as the UAD's (specifically the dynamic ones). A subject that seems open to debate... (consider the bf76 vs 1176 rage...)
Also, you get incredible value for the price of one uad card, the equivalent in BF would be close to double... (and they arent powered) but: Latency Latency Latency

And you're right, a magma/uad/fxpansion set-up is too expensive to find myself having to deal with latency in the middle of the drum soundcheck!
So, I think it' be best to find a good plugin bundle... Are the BF's up to UAD's?
Have you ever used Nomad Factory's bluetubes bundle? (I know, I know this is a digi forum but I need to know!)
I tried the demo and think they're quite good although I'm not sure if they would work properly with 128-256 buffer setting...?
Also, all plugs add inherent delay to the system, anyone you'd recommend for optimum live operation?
thanks in advance,

PS: Any recommendation for extra adat I/O? I'm considrering the Presonus Firestation which works standalone...
16 inserts! Adios tour rack!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:44 PM

So do you have to shift the tracks back a certain number of samples using the UAD card?? I'm not totally understanding the plugin latency issue, other than using it "realtime". Cause "PTLE doesn't have latency compensation". So I'd like to fully understand the limitations of this lovely piece of software
Old 12-07-2004, 10:27 PM

you compensate for it by routing things with out the plugins on it to busses and add a delay comp pluggin provide by UA

the dlay comp adds latency so that the plugin tracks and non plugin tracks are the same

the reason you add it to a buss is in ptle it adds to the cpu so you put it on a buss to conserve

say I have a 3 track session vox guitar bass and congos

I put a pultec and an 1176 on the vox and an la 2a on guitar nothing on congos and bass

Id have the vox go to oputput 1-2 , the guitar Id put on a buss ( incase it was a bigger session with other 1 plugin tacks ) with a delay comp set to 1 plugin so the new total is 2 la2a plus 1 delay comp

Id route the congos and bass to buss 2 with a delay comp of 2 plugin s

Old 12-07-2004, 10:41 PM

Quote:
you compensate for it by routing things with out the plugins on it to busses and add a delay comp pluggin provide by UA

the dlay comp adds latency so that the plugin tracks and non plugin tracks are the same

the reason you add it to a buss is in ptle it adds to the cpu so you put it on a buss to conserve

say I have a 3 track session vox guitar bass and congos

I put a pultec and an 1176 on the vox and an la 2a on guitar nothing on congos and bass

Id have the vox go to oputput 1-2 , the guitar Id put on a buss ( incase it was a bigger session with other 1 plugin tacks ) with a delay comp set to 1 plugin so the new total is 2 la2a plus 1 delay comp

Id route the congos and bass to buss 2 with a delay comp of 2 plugin s

I guess its worth the extra trouble, its too bad though that you have to bother with that. Would an RTAS version of UAD help things at all, and/or maybe this future latency compensation feature that is appearing in 6.7?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:12 PM

Quote:
for live projects, you will have to get your total latency below 10ms, which means maxx 256 hardware buffer and (currently) no UAD/POWERCORE.
ya and what about the no latency mode on the Poco, does it work with more than one plug?
I know it loads your cpu but how much? I would use from 8 to 16 max.
I would like to use this live so no latency is important...
thanks,