Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 04-22-2021, 11:43 AM

Default Carbon integration with other interfaces

Hello Avid folks... I currently have UAD Apollo systems connected via TB3 chain to my system. I have been searching for someone who may have a similar setup that has integrated a Carbon into their setup. I have had a number of answers to questions that have been a bit contradictory ranging from "No, you can't have both in your setup" to "You can just create an aggregate interface on the Mac and all the I/O should work as expected". I would gravitate towards the second answer, but really don't want to put out 4k not having a definitive response. Anyone running this type of setup? or know for sure one way or the other? TIA

Dan
Old 04-22-2021, 12:59 PM
Avid

Default Re: Carbon integration with other interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancampdan View Post
Hello Avid folks... I currently have UAD Apollo systems connected via TB3 chain to my system. I have been searching for someone who may have a similar setup that has integrated a Carbon into their setup. I have had a number of answers to questions that have been a bit contradictory ranging from "No, you can't have both in your setup" to "You can just create an aggregate interface on the Mac and all the I/O should work as expected". I would gravitate towards the second answer, but really don't want to put out 4k not having a definitive response. Anyone running this type of setup? or know for sure one way or the other? TIA

Dan
Hey Dan,

When you look at Carbon in Audio MIDI Setup, two devices appear:
Pro Tools | Carbon: I/O
Pro Tools | Carbon: Reserved for Pro Tools

Pro Tools | Carbon: I/O is the device which can be aggregated with other devices like Apollo. However, this means that Pro Tools will only see Carbon as a generic input and output device. You won't have access to any of the features that make Carbon special: DSP Mode, Monitor Set selection, Headphone Source selection, etc. To get those features, you'll need to use Carbon by itself (non-aggregated) in Pro Tools.

Hope that helps.
Berkeley, CA
Old 04-22-2021, 06:11 PM

You could definitely use Apollo to feed into Carbon via ADAT. Doing that you can use Apollo just like a rack of outboard.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hey Dan,

When you look at Carbon in Audio MIDI Setup, two devices appear:
Pro Tools | Carbon: I/O
Pro Tools | Carbon: Reserved for Pro Tools

Pro Tools | Carbon: I/O is the device which can be aggregated with other devices like Apollo. However, this means that Pro Tools will only see Carbon as a generic input and output device. You won't have access to any of the features that make Carbon special: DSP Mode, Monitor Set selection, Headphone Source selection, etc. To get those features, you'll need to use Carbon by itself (non-aggregated) in Pro Tools.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the response. Would this also still limit the I/O? One of the benefits beyond the DSP is also the ability to extend I/O beyond the 32 ins/outs.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:51 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancampdan View Post
Thanks for the response. Would this also still limit the I/O? One of the benefits beyond the DSP is also the ability to extend I/O beyond the 32 ins/outs.
Sure thing. Using Pro Tools | Carbon in Pro Tools Playback Engine (non-aggregated) is limited to 25 inputs and 34 outputs. There's no way at this time to add more physical I/O. You can add more physical I/O by aggregating Carbon with another device. However, you lose all the Carbon features I mentioned above. That answer your question?
Berkeley, CA
Old 05-23-2022, 01:26 PM

I have a question:
I want tou use Carbon AND Metric Halo ULN8. I agree that’s not the same protocols. So I use 2 ethernet ports. Impossible to use the I/O inserts of Carbon. When I want to use Insert 11-12, for example, Signal goes to line out 1-2 (I see it on Peters), enters in my peripheral, then goes out my gear and enters in Carbon In 1-2. But I can’t hear it… and if I create a aux output to my gear, and create a aux track for thé return, I have sound, but with 0.5s of latency…
Help welcome…
Mac Pro Trashcan 3?5GHz E5 6hearts, 32GO RAM
Old 05-23-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmanours View Post
I have a question:
I want tou use Carbon AND Metric Halo ULN8. I agree that’s not the same protocols. So I use 2 ethernet ports. Impossible to use the I/O inserts of Carbon. When I want to use Insert 11-12, for example, Signal goes to line out 1-2 (I see it on Peters), enters in my peripheral, then goes out my gear and enters in Carbon In 1-2. But I can’t hear it… and if I create a aux output to my gear, and create a aux track for thé return, I have sound, but with 0.5s of latency…
Help welcome…
You hoping to rely on aggregate I/O? Ugh just no. Unreliable at best. And other side effect of confusing yourself/the I/O setup as you are seeing.

The "right" way to do this, as already mentioned above, is via ADAT... hang the ULN8 outboard on the Carbon with the Metric Halo optional ADAT card. And latencies of the outboard channels will be different, nothing can tell/there is no way to communicate what an ADAT peripheral latency is, so you may need to do some correction there. But this should be ~few ms or less for ADC conversion time.

As for inserts, sounds like you have I/O messed up likely because you have confused yourself and the system with aggregating I/O. Stop using aggregate I/O and start with a trivial test session. Aux outputs with very high latency may have been because you have signals going through the disk playback buffer (1,000 or 2,000 samples depending on sample rate). Just set up stuff properly.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-23-2022 at 02:58 PM.