Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2004, 05:12 AM

Default Basic - Monitor and timecode issues

Hi Guys I have just invested in my first PT setup with a mate. So I think I willl be hear quite alot from now on. I am actually a location sound guy so I have been hitting alot of brick walls since I set it up.

I have a LE system 5.3 and am running it on a PC.

First how do you resize the quicktime movie screen. I have been told you have to do it outside of the Protools session and re import it... but how?

Second i want to have a seperate monitor for the picture and was wondering what video card i should get. I have been told to get a card with RCA outputs so I can attach a Television to it and run off VHS copies etc etc.

Thirdly, How would I use timecode with my LE system. It has no timecode time line and again I have been told LE does not support timecode. Is this true. Could I use a midi interface to turn SMPTE into MTC off a Beta deck or VHS and get PT to chase that. What are my options when it comes to this type of session... i.e film. Is the DV toolkit the only way to go. What up grades whould I need to do etc etc

Thanks... JJ
Old 02-21-2004, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Basic - Monitor and timecode issues

PTLE doesn't show the Time Code line (unless you buy the DV toolkit, 1000$), but it outputs it as MTC. I think you would need a sync machine.
I've never heard of VHS with TC (but you seems to say it exist?), but With a BETA it works. You would also need to remote the BETA from the protools which can be done by a sony 9-pin (and I'm not sure of the way to do it on a PC).
I don't think there's a way on a PC to output just the quicktime window to a separate monitor, but maybe with some tricks.
I'me using an old TDM post-prod station under mac with nubuss, a sync from DIGI, and a BETA, and this setup seemed to work with the DIGI 002, but with no TC display and no remote.
Maybe someone will come with a better answer.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:32 PM

A quick search reveals information here and here.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-21-2004, 02:37 PM

SuperVHS has a timecode track... unlike consumer VHS.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-22-2004, 07:20 PM

Thanks people for the replies. So I'm using quicktime 5 maybe i need pro to re size the player. So what do you guys use to playback quicktime at a reasonable size to mix to. I have two monitors so what would you recommend. Ideally i want to work stations and A Tv linked to the main station for image playback