Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 06-19-2021, 09:49 AM

Default Pre-Sales Question

Hello all. I am new to the forum and had a few pre-sales questions I wanted to throw out there about Carbon. I have read through all of the threads on the forum as well as multiple articles so I have a good understanding of how Carbon performs however in spite of all of that I still am not sure if it's something that will work for me.

I am a video editor using Davinci Resolve and while they have Fairlight, and a new desktop controller, I feel like it still has issues, especially compatibility with a large selection of audio interfaces. I am considering a move to Pro Tools, which I used over 12 years ago in a professional sound studio. I am currently considering a set-up consisting of an Avid Dock, 2 Avid S1's and Pro Tools Carbon. This set-up is mostly driven by an initial budget of $8,000 - $10,000, for an audio interface and DAW controller, and not counting a Mac OS computer or speakers.

Here's a few questions I have.

1) Is Carbon the right tool for the job? It doesn't use Sync X and so I will be losing frame accurate syncing. Most of the editing jobs I do consist of corporate and commercial spots, however there may be a documentary or narrative film in the next year. Note: In Resolve when you go to the Fairlight page you are automatically synced to the video.

2) Is Carbon something I can build an audio post production system around? Right now the inputs and outputs seem sufficient for the work I am doing. I know there is am upgrade pathway regarding I/O's that can link up to the Carbon, however I have not been able to fin any videos or articles showing this.

3) 5.1 and Dolby Atmos output. I have seen on the boards see that monitor output capability for this is "on the list", and there are also digital surround output devices that I can add on to the system, at almost the same price as the Carbon. Does anyone have any more insight regarding this capability.

Thank you all for the basic questions I have and I look forward to your thoughts.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Pre-Sales Question

You might be better off with a MTRX Studio and HD Native. You won't get the low latency DSP but that may be less of an issue for post production. And you can add a Sync HD or X later for frame-accurate sync. That also gives you monitor control (now) and additional I/O possibilities via Dante.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:00 PM

My only suggestion would be to purchase something that fits your needs now. Do not buy something that may be upgraded with additional features in the future. There’s a good chance it will never happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2021, 06:18 AM

Thank you for the thoughts. I do agree with buying something that fits my needs now vs next year. I think that was one reason I am looking at the Carbon system. It might fit today while being able to expand next year.

The other driving issue is the budget. The MTRX interface is $5,000 and the HD Native interface with software is $3,000. So it's $8,000 before the Avid Dock and S1 with two iPads. That takes me just past the $12,000 mark, which is over the budget number. However I do agree that it would fit my needs both today and next year.

It may be that I have an unrealistic budget of $8,000 - $10,000 to get into a Pro Tools system that will work for me. I continue to evaluate that.

I look forward to hearing more about how Carbon can, or cannot fit into my system.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:40 AM

I don't do post so really do not know what your work flow might be or if it is a good fit ( you might also post over in the "Pro Tools Post Production " sub forum ??

So I will only comment about what know. Carbon for me for low latency tracking of analog sources is an excellent combo interface with great mic pre's and great conversion. I can track an acoustic guitar rhythm track ,,,then dub a vocal over that, then do some electric guitar lead riffs in between the vocal phrasing over that. etc.. etc.
If that low latency analog tracking ability is something like what you might need to be able to do,, then Carbon is a viable consideration.

Don't know if this is any help or is relevant to your situation BUT Here is an article About the Hybrid capability coming to HDX. by a guy who is heavy into post production
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/pro-tools-hdx-hybrid-engine-is-it-really-a-game-changer?mc_cid=024da6ecf3&mc_eid=3af5b4ba3b

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 06-20-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:57 AM

Thank you for the link. It was an interesting read. Also, thanks to the other replies as well.