Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2021, 05:28 PM

Default Why is AVID SUPPORT so useless (careless)?

Hello everybody ( and sorry for my english already ) ,

I made a thread here , a month ago , to complain about AVID SUPPORT ...
They didn't respond to my emails for nearly 1 month & half !!

Thanks to JEFFRO , They opened my case , but the nightmare continues ....

I'm using Pro Tools since 2010 , i'm doing some mixing for clients (that's one of my job) and i have a pretty solid customer base now .

But since i bought my new powerful computer ( 8 cores , 16 threads) compared to my old pentium ( which was lagging as hell , and which cannot afford a lot of plugins ) , i thought i will be 50x more comfortable to mix my projects . But there is a problem with Pro Tools and this computer .

This computer came with Windows 10 . I had to use Pro tools 2020.12 atleast ( this was flagged as not compatible but could be run) , but it was recommanded to use 2021.3.

here are the problems :

Sometimes i can put 2 plugins , and this one says that my CPU hasn't enough power .( When i look at cpu meter , you can see that i'm only at 10% , then it spikes to 100%)

Was thinking it was the plugins , but i didn't have any problems with Pro Tools 10 with these sames plugins (even if it was only 32 bits versions & rtas) . I tried all things you suggested to me here , but something is wrong

( Simply opening a folder , a window or having a notification on my pc causes these spikes ) .

Tried to kill 8 threads (out of the 16) and all of sudden , i could add 10 times the amount of plugins i put before "stressing" the CPU ( Wrong sense since my computer could support a lot lot more).

So to summarize , i made a case for this problem . They told me to send first the file msinfo32.nfo which is a list of your computer components and specifications .

I sent that to them and had to wait another 15 days for a reply ...
After that , they asked for a Log ( export it when the problem occurs) .
I sent that too . This log came from 2021.3 version .
I asked if the 2 files were useful ... no reply ...waited ..

15 days after again ( remember i'm not working now , my clients are going elsewhere) the guy asked me if i 've downloaded the latest 2021.3.1 version.

I said of course , but it's the same with all recent Pro tools version .
He asked me to reproduce the problem again with 2021.3.1 . I replied to him that this was the same kind of problem , and the same behaviour as the previous version , and nothing changed . So maybe , he should give me feedbacks about the files i sent before , because i'm still waiting for a clue...

He replied INSTANTLY and asked for the Log again . Then i repeated my question . He replied again INSTANTLY asking for the Log .
Then i lost patience , and told him that i'm waiting for 2 months and half , not being able to do anything because my powerful new computer doesn't match with Pro tools , so no money etc . I told him that he should be able to explain what he thought , what he found or maybe being honest if he doesn't know how to manage these bugs , and send me to another one ...

Since i've said that , it's been 10 days without any answers , maybe i hurt him or .

I don't really know what to do , and what's going on . I can download again 2021.3.1 ( i've deleted since it was useless here) , then delete the previous and installs it . Try to open Pro tools and going for the same error and ..and .. and .. But i know this wouldn't help ...

Why don't he respond to my questions ? i want to know if he has a clue , i don't want to waste my time anymore .

Sorry i'm so upset here .
Thanks for reading.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Why is AVID SUPPORT so useless (careless)?

Sounds like you have a graphics card problem (driver possibly).

You haven't mentioned what your audio card/interface is.. spikes are usually related to conflicts with the audio card performing its tasks. At that point, your cpu doesn't matter as much.

You have to find what is causing the conflict (system tasks, other hardware and their drivers, or even poor chipsets like the onboard USB controller if you are using a USB audio interface.)
Old 05-20-2021, 06:09 PM

Thank you , you should be on the support team already , you're doing a better job !!

My system is based on I9 - 10980H with an onboard graphic card

Intel UHD GRAPHICS (I've never heard some problems with that ) .
Driver up to date .

I'm using a RME BABYFACE Usb soundcard (driver up to date).

I've never experienced anything like that. I'm using FL STUDIO to make my song , and i encounter abolutely no spikes . I'm using adobe audition and some other stuffs too .

I'm trying to find , but since it's only Pro tools that causes that , the support should give me some clues ...

BTW : I'm sure it has nothing to do with the CPU has you said , but Pro tools is giving me CPU ERROR . But it's unlikely with this computer .
Sometimes i don't have to move the mouse into a folder , or a window for the problem to occur suddenly , into pro tools screen .

Thanks again
Old 05-20-2021, 07:09 PM

Last time I tried to call. I got a Sale Force Robot of some sort..

I got thru a different way.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 05-20-2021, 07:39 PM

Much of Avid's customer service operates on Manila, Philippines and there are still severe restrictions regarding business and traveling outside. So in a way Avid is in a deep s.. trouble with this outsourcing. Word is the restrictions there are easing by the end of the month so slowly business will get back to usual. Not an excuse though, just an explanation.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:24 AM

I would recommend going through the Optimization Guide: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...oting/en367983

After you've done that, if you still have issues post back with your full system specs: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 05-21-2021, 01:09 PM

Great to see the community helping people out!

Back on topic: Yes, AVID support is one of the worst in its business, sadly.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:45 PM

I would like to add on that Avid's support is the worst I've ever seen for a company of this size that is supposed to support pro users. I've had multiple cases where a response doesn't come for months at a time. Pre Pandemic as well as during the pandemic. At one point I was given an apology that it wouldn't happen again as well as a direct email incase I had any further issues. When I emailed that person they never returned my email.

I understand the the issue with lockdowns and restrictions but it has been over a year and Avid has had time to adjust by now as all business's have. They can put some support in the US or elsewhere to address customer issues. They made sure to charge myself and the studio for our licenses and "Support" so that part of the company is functioning well. I understand if it is an extra day, 2 days 3 days but for it to be months is pretty disgraceful. The website still notes they should respond within 24hours, 48 if extremely busy. Clearly people are having issues that Avid is unwilling to help with or even care about. As an example when I called Source Elements for a Source Connect issue they responded within about 2 hours, that company has probably grown as much as any other in audio over the last year and half with the amount of voice talent now needing to keep their gigs.

The last issue support was able to help with, it took them 4 months to figure it out, all because they didn't have the hardware to test it (MTRX).

Including "Support" has always been a money grab by Avid to make you feel better about the subscription but no value is added at all.