Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 06-05-2020, 01:30 AM

Default S1 failing to connect to Windows PC properly

I've been struggling to get my new S1 up-and-running for the past few days now. It seems to have some real problems with the ethernet connection on my PC but I'm at a loss as to how this might be resolved.

This morning I was able to plug it into my Mac Mini, where it connected correctly, and I updated the firmware to the latest version. However, now that I've plugged it back into the PC it keeps experiencing network errors. It will appear briefly in EuControl but if I try to interrogate its firmware version within the application, it says 0.0.0.0 (whereas on the Mac it shows 25.5.0.0). The S1 shows the AVID logo across all screens and does not seem to move on from that as it did when it was connected to the Mac.

It will then disconnect itself. The message this morning is: "Network error - Unable to connect to the unit named "Avid S1 (Avid S1-0C13)". Possible causes: the unit's ethernet or power cable is unplugged, the unit is not powered on, the unit is connected to another network, a bad ethernet cable, or firmware or hardware problems. Check all cable connections, power off the unit for 30 seconds, and try again."

The PC's network setup is as follows:

Ethernet 1: The ethernet adapter on the motherboard, connected via a cable to the Mac with a fixed IP

Ethernet 2: A virtual ethernet adapter for use with GlobalProtect

Ethernet 3: First port of a two-port PCIe ethernet card

Ethernet 4: Second port of the above

WiFi: Another PCIe card, which is connected to the Internet

I've tried the S1 cable (and other ethernet cables) in the Ethernet 1, 3 and 4 ports. I've tried each of these ports with DCHP switched on or with a fixed IP. I've tried disabling all the adapters other than the one I want to use. I've tried plugging in a router and plugging the S1 into that. So far, nothing.

Any ideas?
Old 06-05-2020, 09:53 AM
Avid

Default Re: S1 failing to connect to Windows PC properly

Welcome and thanks for moving this to here from FB.

If this was my system I would switch all ports to DHCP. I would use the router, plug the Mac and PC into that and not direct connect. Plug the S1 into the router too. You will need the router for WiFi for the Tablet App.

Can you also check that the S1 is set to DHCP (see at the end of the S1 Guide how to check)
Old 06-08-2021, 07:17 AM

Hi, I am having the same problem using Windows 10. I have 3x S1 units and a dock connect to a switch box. Recently I had to replace one of th S1 units to a new one and previously all of them worked fine but now the new one is bringing uo the same message. I have tried changing cables and different ports and double checked that the S1 is in DHCP mode.

In EU control this particular S1 unit is saying: "click Show Info" when as the other ones are just saying available.
When I click to see more ifno it says:

MAC: 00-A0-7E-17-20-6C
IP 192.168.1.20:49168

Avid S1-206C is having connection issues.

Please turn Avid S1-206C off and on again.
Then drag Avid S1-206C into the My Surfaces list.

Note that when your device returns to the All Surfaces list, it will still show "Click Show Info" until it is put back into the My Surfaces list.

Did the original poster find a solution and what could be the solution please?
Old 06-08-2021, 04:53 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus8197 View Post
Hi, I am having the same problem using Windows 10. I have 3x S1 units and a dock connect to a switch box. Recently I had to replace one of th S1 units to a new one and previously all of them worked fine but now the new one is bringing uo the same message. I have tried changing cables and different ports and double checked that the S1 is in DHCP mode.

In EU control this particular S1 unit is saying: "click Show Info" when as the other ones are just saying available.
When I click to see more ifno it says:

MAC: 00-A0-7E-17-20-6C
IP 192.168.1.20:49168

Avid S1-206C is having connection issues.

Please turn Avid S1-206C off and on again.
Then drag Avid S1-206C into the My Surfaces list.

Note that when your device returns to the All Surfaces list, it will still show "Click Show Info" until it is put back into the My Surfaces list.

Did the original poster find a solution and what could be the solution please?
If you power on just this new S1 does it connect OK ?
Old 06-09-2021, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
If you power on just this new S1 does it connect OK ?
I tried to switch on only the new S1 and still had the same problem, then I connected this S1 with the ethernet cable that a working S1 was using and still no luck.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:23 AM
Avid

If you restart the PC, with just this one do you get the same, Is it stuck on the Avid Logos? Maybe this one has a bad ethernet connection :-(