Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 08-28-2021, 04:16 PM

Default Re: How to Open Pro Tools 10 Session in Pro Tools 2021.7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
My wife is from Bohol

That's wonderful!
Old 10-28-2021, 08:38 AM

Default Re: How to Open Pro Tools 10 Session in Pro Tools 2021.7?

UPDATE

I should have more accurately titled this thread post as "How to Open Pro Tools 10 on an Old System Using the New Pro Tools 10 License Bundled with Pro Tools 2021".

I'd like to thank everyone for the replies, info, tips, and advice. Just to add: After having gathered useful and educational info from all of you for which I am grateful, I, then, decided to message Avid via Facebook for additional details and final confirmations, and they were responsive and helpful.

So, here are my update details which could hopefully help others who may have similar concerns:

- I was able to install and run PT 2021.7 on a Mac M1 Mini (Big Sur 11.6) and was also able to install and run most, if not all, my previous plugins via Rosetta. My new PT 2021.7 license (bundle) resides on an iLok 3.

- On my older iMac running Lion 10.7.3 with my old Pro Tools 10.0.0 license residing on an iLok 1, I simply plugged my iLok 3 (into another USB port) and opened iLok License Manager which, then, updated and auto-synchornized (?) licenses. As expected, the original PT 10 license on my iLok 1 has been grayed-out (or auto-deactivated, I suppose, upon my having surrendered it for PT 2021.7 registration and activation). So, just to confirm: Yes, surrendering your original/old PT 10 license for PT 2021 means that you will, indeed, no longer have access to it (but that you will also be given a new one!).

- And the good news: PT 10.0.0 launches and absolutely works on my old iMac!

- FYI: The PT 10 installer that comes with 2021.7 bundle is v10.3.10. I thought I had to first uninstall v10.0.0 on my old iMac and then install this v10.3.10 for the new license to work. But it turns out, the bundled PT 10 license opens v10.0.0 as well (I'm not tech-savvy, so imagine my pleasant surprise!). The reason I had tried this out in the first place was because I still needed my RTAS plugins on that old iMac and so I didn't want to erase v10.0.0. FYI also: v10.3.8 was the last version update that supported RTAS (with the addition of AAX). One might wonder why I just didn't upgrade to v10.3.8 anyway while I was at it, and the reason is that v10.0.0 has worked well for me the past 9 years on my old iMac and so I didn't want to have to uninstall (which is recommended by Avid, even when updating to a minor version) and risk inviting trouble.

- So, everything is working so far. I just plug my iLok 3 into whichever computer I need for work (meaning, into the M1 for my PT 2021.7 or into my old iMac for PT 10.0.0).

Hope this helps others.

Thank you, again, everyone, for all your help!