Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-15-2007, 01:53 PM

Default How to make some MIDI stuff with Mbox2 Mini

Hi everyone. I'm a Pro Tool starter and hope you don't mind giving me some suggestion.

1. I have a Yamaha E203 keyboard which is not specifically a midi keyboard but it does have midi interface (1 in and 1 out), so I assume I can use it as a midi keyboard, am I right?

2. If I am right, as you know, Mbox2 mini doesn't have midi interface, can I use 1/4" inch jack cable to connect the keyboard and Mbox2 Mini?

3. Referred to Mbox2 Mini manual, 1/4" inch jack cable is a solution for the device, and I did try to work it out according to the manual,but I failed. Main problem is that Pro Tool system can't identify the midi device. Can any one tell me how to work it out?

Thank you
Old 12-15-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: How to make some MIDI stuff with Mbox2 Mini

Quote:
I have a Yamaha E203 keyboard which is not specifically a midi keyboard but it does have midi interface (1 in and 1 out), so I assume I can use it as a midi keyboard, am I right?
That's correct. MIDI is MIDI.

Quote:
If I am right, as you know, Mbox2 mini doesn't have midi interface, can I use 1/4" inch jack cable to connect the keyboard and Mbox2 Mini?
No. MIDI is digital binary data...control parameters so to speak for a synthesizer or sampler comprising 128 different note values, plus note on and note off commands. You can however, send analog output from your keyboard into the 1/4. MIDI is data which controls the sound generator.

Quote:
Referred to Mbox2 Mini manual, 1/4" inch jack cable is a solution for the device, and I did try to work it out according to the manual,but I failed. Main problem is that Pro Tool system can't identify the midi device. Can any one tell me how to work it out?
The same reason... 1/4" is an analog audio spec. MIDI is binary data. If you want to run midi, look for a USB MIDI controller that the keybaord can run into, and PT should be able to detect the USB controller. On top of that you will need a synthesizer or sampler like Reason, Kontakt, XPand among others to properly use this MIDI data to generate the sound.

[/QUOTE]

Hope that helps
Old 12-15-2007, 03:15 PM

If your Keyboard has analog outputs yuo can record them into PT as analog audio.

If you want to record and edit MIDI data from the keyboard you will need a USB to MIDI adapter.
I have used a M Audio UNO adapter and it works great. I know Edirol also makes them.

Another option would be to buy a keyboard controller that has both USB and Midi connections.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-15-2007, 04:58 PM

Thank you guys, they are quick responses and very helpful. Now I know for sure I can do some MIDI thing with Mbox2 mini.

Just wanna make sure how to use the UNO adapter. Are you sure it works well with Mbox2 mini? The midi jacks are sure for the midi instrument but where to put the USB? Directly to the PC?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Thank you guys, they are quick responses and very helpful. Now I know for sure I can do some MIDI thing with Mbox2 mini.

Just wanna make sure how to use the UNO adapter. Are you sure it works well with Mbox2 mini? The midi jacks are sure for the midi instrument but where to put the USB? Directly to the PC?
Yes. Plug the Midi in/out end into your controller and the USB end into your PC. Then, in PT, go to "Midi Studio" under the setup window and tell PT what your controller is. The manual spells all this out fairly well. Once PT recognizes your controller, you're good to go.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:09 AM

Hi, finally I get a usb-midi adapter and now am able to run midi in PT with Mboox2 mini. Thanks everyone.

Now another stupid question arrived. I can't hear the sound when I play back the midi.
does anyone know how to make it work? By the way, I insert both midi in and out to the keyboard's midi in and out, and only 'midi in' LED indicator lights.

Thank you
Old 12-17-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Hi, finally I get a usb-midi adapter and now am able to run midi in PT with Mboox2 mini. Thanks everyone.

Now another stupid question arrived. I can't hear the sound when I play back the midi.
does anyone know how to make it work? By the way, I insert both midi in and out to the keyboard's midi in and out, and only 'midi in' LED indicator lights.

Thank you

Problem solved. Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:55 PM

I have a problem with UNO too.

I have Fantom X which can be switched to midi mode. So I wanted to use my Fantom as my midi keyboard with Pro Tools Le 7.3

I connected Midi UNO (usb) to Fantom and followed the installation CD. My computer (XP) recognized the hardware. But its not working. The light is missimg for midi out on Uno. Maybe I did something wrong.

Can you tell me how you did it, and how you did the setup in pro Tools couse mine doesnt recognize it.

And also want to know what is PT.

p.s I also wanting to use xpand plug-in with pro tools using midi. Is it possible.

I hope someone can help, Pleaseee.