Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-12-1999, 07:33 PM

Default late night session in progress please help

i need to combine 5 reels of edited music for a film that are at 48k with 5 reels of efx, bg, dialog, and adr for the same film, that are at 44.1. i do not own session browser. is there any way??? i hope, i hope, i hope.

i tried converting all the music audio to 44.1 using gearbox, then opening a copy of the session and pointing to the 44.1k audio (i temporarily changed the names on the 48k files using filebuddy) then i set the session to 44.1 in the set-up window. everything was messed up. the wrong part of an audio file was in the region, and all was out of sync. why? please help, brothers and sisters

thanks

[This message has been edited by tomcat (edited 10-12-99).]

www.tompaul.com
Old 10-12-1999, 07:57 PM

Default Re: late night session in progress please help

tomcat,

I'm not sure that I completely understand your perdicament, but I think that I'd

1.) bounce to disk the music files. (perhaps from 2 pop to 2 pop - see below)
2.) Then covert/import them into your 44.1k dialog/sfx session. This could take a Looooooonnnnng time depending on how much music you have. Don't use tweekhead unless you don't want to work until tomorrow nite!!
3.) re-spot them. After a sample rate conversion I don't know if they will auto-spot correctly or not. (never tried that)

What you could do is when you bounce to disk, you could bounce from the 2 pop at the top of the reel to the 2 pop at the end of the reel. This will leave you with one long contiguous region that will be simple to re-spot in your 44.1k session. The downside is that it will take a while to bounce and quite a while to convert/import. Hope you've got a lot of coffee.

Good Luck!

drBill
Old 10-12-1999, 08:08 PM

i appreciate the response, dr., but this won't work for two reasons: i need to continue editing, so a contiguous region won't allow for any "opening up" of the regions, and the other reason is that this is a two hour movie with lots of music and i have to deliver the entire mix in two days. i will barely make it hacking through as it is, let alone waiting for 10 hours of file conversion. if i had session browser, life would be good again. do they make a demo of that or does anyone have a copy i could borrow for a day???

www.tompaul.com
Old 10-12-1999, 11:11 PM

If you're in a hurry and will settle, then you could transfer the 48kHz music audio to MMR-8, DA88 or ADAT analog and record at 44.1kHz, then retransfer the 44.1kHz recorded music to your dialog, fx, etc. session digitally.

You will have to decide if the D to A conversion to change the sample rate is any worse than using the sample rate conversion algorithm that you would otherwise use. Do you have an AD8000?

Good luck.

Rail

------------------
Recording Engineer
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-13-1999, 12:34 AM

thanks for the idea but we need to continue editing the music, so if we recorded it out and brought it back in, we couldn't access audio outside of the current region.

www.tompaul.com
Old 10-13-1999, 09:04 AM

Since you need to keep editing and have to deliver so quickly, I suggest that you run two seperate sessions up until you need to deliver. Then rent an extra Pro Tools for your dub and run both systems in tandem.
Old 10-13-1999, 10:51 AM

yeah, i'll just lay the tracks out to da-88 when i'm done editing and have that chase and come in on auxes in tdm. there's always a way. thanks folks.

www.tompaul.com
Old 10-13-1999, 09:19 PM

If you convert the sound effects to 48K, you could use lower quality (i.e., faster SR conversion). Just a thought.