Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2003, 04:10 PM

Default Sudden quit when adding MIDI track

I was using MOTU's Expansion Board Setup Application to add expansion names to my XV5080 patchlist. After I did that adding any MIDI track in ProTools causes a unexpected quit. I also got one Kernal panic. I tried throwing out preferences but that did nothing. Is there something I can do to fix this, short of reinstalling?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Sudden quit when adding MIDI track

can you post computer and ram amount info ...

i think my crashes are due to lack of ram ..

peace john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-30-2003, 01:58 PM

I was able to fix my problem by reconfiguring Apple Midi Setup. But it happened again when I tried to modify the patch list for my XV-5080. Again I had to reconfigure my AMS before I could open a Project that had MIDI tracks or to add MIDI tracks to a new Project. I am using a Quicksilver Dual 800 with 1.25 G Ram and MacOS X 10.2.6.

Is there anyway to start from scratch with all midi devices and Midinam files short of reinstalling? I feel like maybe a device file got corrupted between DP and PT sharing patch names. Something is definitely not right.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:15 PM
Avid

Shadowbox,

Did you trach the AMS prefs before reconfiguring your setup?

Go to Mac HD > Users > Current User > Library > Preferences and trash “com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist”.

then go ahead and launch AudioMIDI Setup and reconfigure AMS.

Mike
Old 10-30-2003, 08:21 PM

Yes, I did that. Everything works fine as long as I don't try to change the XV-5080 patchlist using the MOTU expansion board setup utility. For some reason, when I try to select the MOTU XV-5080 patchlist in ProTools it doesn't work. Only the Digi one will work. They are both xml so I'm not sure what the problem is. If I modify the XV-5080 patchlist using the MOTU exp board utility and open up DP4, the new patch names show up. But if I then open up a project with MIDI files in PT everything goes haywire again.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:24 AM
Avid

Shadow,

After using the motu utility try changing two fields in the XML file.

Modify the patch names document by opening it up in a text editor.

Locate the following two fields in the .midnam document:

1) The Author field: Try changing this from "Mark of the Unicorn " to "Digidesign"

2) The "CustomDeviceMode Name" Change this filed from the Mode type (ie. Mode 1) to a blank field. We usually leave thiis filed blank so it may cause problems when using the midnam file with Pro Tools.

After changing these two fields try using the .midnam document again in Pro Tools.

Mike
Old 10-31-2003, 12:50 PM

I tried that and it didn't work. Not only that, but I got the sudden quit problem again. And after throwing out the AudioMidi Preferences and reconfiguring the AudioMidi I could get PT projects to open, but now I can't even assign the old XV-5080 patch list which I was able to do before. It says "MIDIServer patch file, bank, or mode information not available for this MIDI instrument."

This is a big problem. I should be able to open DP4 and switch back to PT without going through this. I think part of the problem has to be that there are middev files that Digidesign installs and different ones that MOTU installs. Shouldn't there just be one common library that CoreMidi uses?
Old 10-31-2003, 08:48 PM

Ok, I have everything working again. But the the MOTU expansion board utility is definitely not compatible with PT. In fact, you have to throw out all MOTU device lists and midinam files before configuring AMS. Then both PT and DP will see the patch lists. If you configure AMS using MOTU device lists, PT will most likely crash when adding MIDI tracks, or when opening a MIDI project. I think Apple should be compiling midi device lists and midinam files and get one set that works for all applications. Otherwise we will have these issues when one company decides their way is better than another's.

But I will say that MOTU's method IS better than PT. For one, their XV-5080 patch lists allows you to select drum patches on any channel. Also, the Expansion Board Utility is cool. It's a drag that it doesn't work in PT.