Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2000, 02:58 PM

Default Rode Microphone (The Less Expensive One)

Anybody know anything about this "budget" mic? I've heard good things, but from salespeople.
Old 07-13-2000, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Rode Microphone (The Less Expensive One)

I have been using it in a record and is great! Of course a Neumann is better but for the bux you spend is a heart shaped mic.
Has specially good bass....

------------------
------
guix habla en español
Old 07-13-2000, 11:06 PM

I use two NT1's, and I find them to be a great value. They're not as sharp/precise as a Neumann, but let me put it this way : straight into the board (or Digi 001), even without any Eq, if you've got a decent vocalist you should get a very decent sound (good enough for most pro jobs).

There are some other mics around but for the price, I think this thing is almost unbeatable.

Good luck !

------------------
Paul Curtiz / Scratch Studio
Old 07-14-2000, 12:47 AM

yes friends,

I used to rec acoustic guitas and vocals with my Rode NT2 and I have excelents results. Of course, a U87 is bettar than everyone other mics but it's very expencive...

I used to rec with the NT2 without anyone EQs...

Alex Ciaglia
Old 07-14-2000, 11:01 AM

I am using a CAD e-100 and am very pleased with vocals, horns, and it makes a good room mic too. It claims a razor flat response from 20-20,000 HZ and comes with a signed test document verifying the frequency response of my mic.

------------------
RLM
Zalman CNPS9500 cooling Fan
ASUS EAH3450 512MB Radeon 64 bit video
SIIG 1394 PCI firewire
Corsair 650 Watt power supply
Corsair 4GB DDR2 1066 ram
2X Western Digital Caviar 640GB SATA 3.0Gb/s
Lite-On 20x DVD-r
Dual 22" Hannspree LCD

Control 24/Digi 003R/PT10/RME ADI-8/Waves SSL/Waves Platinum/URS CSP/IK Total Studio 2 bundle/Massey/Strike/MPTK 1
Old 07-16-2000, 03:21 AM

I use an NT1 with a JoeMeek VC3 ProChannel straight into the digi001 and for the price, you'd find it hard to beat. Everyone knows the more expensive Neumanns and AKG's are better but if like me you're trying to buy a range of equipment,price is a factor.
The Nt1 is quite crisp, a little toppy probably but defintitly worth a go. Even if you upgrade later you'll still find a use for it.
Old 07-16-2000, 06:14 AM

The trick with the NT1 is to work close to it.
Approx 2 inches, with a sock.

As to the above talk about Neumann, my preference to the U69 is the Valve AKG C12 VR, which sound the way a 69 wanted to.

Nice for 24 bit digital

regards
Dirk

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RichardS:
I use an NT1 with a JoeMeek VC3 ProChannel straight into the digi001 and for the price, you'd find it hard to beat. Everyone knows the more expensive Neumanns and AKG's are better but if like me you're trying to buy a range of equipment,price is a factor.
The Nt1 is quite crisp, a little toppy probably but defintitly worth a go. Even if you upgrade later you'll still find a use for it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07-27-2000, 04:16 PM

I agree that the Nt1 is bassy-- way too bassy for me. I am a tenor, and that thing was making my voice sound like a shouting bass. Or could I be a shouting bass? O no. Help.

Old 07-28-2000, 09:58 AM

I recently spent an afternoon checking out the NT1 against a Joe Meek 'Meekaphone'

My personal findings were as follows:-

. On 1st impressions the NT1 won me over with its lovely warm sound.
. However arter prolonged listening, I realised that the Meek was more revealing and less coloured. This was much easier on my ears after prolonged listening.
. At the end of the day I opted for the Meek (in Track Pack form (Meekaphone plus Joe Meek Pro Channel VC3v2)) as I thought it was a more 'all round' work horse.
. The Meek was also more tolerant of sound pressures and had a base roll off & -10 dB attenuation switch. However in the UK it costs more.

I can't help but think I will be returning to get the NT1 as well. It may be coloured, but it's coloured in the right areas, and in the right circumstnces may be the prefered mic.

I'm not sure if I agree with one of the comments above, and this is only my personal experiance (OK, one of my friends has experienced it with his as well!), but if you get to close to the NT1 and overload it, it appears to cut out. So be more careful with placement. It also has a more limited/narrow pckup configuration to the Meek. This is niether good or bad just diferent, depending on what the recording situation is.

In both cases the mic's benefit from the use of a pop shield when recording vocals.
If you think this is an unnessasary luxury then stretch a pair of tights (pantyhose for you Americans)over a wire coat hanger (making sure to check no one is waring them at the time).

By the way if any one is into recording accoustic guitars, I obtained some nice results by using the 'Meek' paced between 8 to 12 inches from my Lowden guitar on one chanel, and taking it's transducer output staight in to a second channel, then mixing between the two for the optimum sound, adding the Digi's own compression as required (usualy depending on the style of playing). Note excelent results were obtained even without the VC3.

At the end of the day its down to personal taste so audition before buying. If I were you I'd check out the AKG C3000 as well.

Regards

Dave Brown
dB Music

PS If any one is intrested in learning guitar I use my system for producing corespondance personalised guitar tuition courses. E-mail me for further details.

[This message has been edited by dB Music (edited July 28, 2000).]
Old 08-03-2000, 04:54 PM

Bump