Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Default Need OSX Lion

Anyone know where I can buy copy of Lion 10.7? I'd like to finally update from 10.6.8 (like many others I update very late in the game) but it's no longer available from Apple. There are some available on ebay, but usually for ridiculously high prices. Any help would be appreciated. No illegal links please.

TIA
Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Need OSX Lion

Apple Apps store. It's 20-30 dollars.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM

That's the problem. They only offer 10.8 Mountain Lion. I need 10.7 Lion. Unless I'm an idiot, and somehow couldn't find it by searching for "10.7" and/or "Lion" and/or "OS X".

It appears that once an OS (or other Apple software) has been superseded, the old version is permanently removed from availability. And since it's sold exclusively as an Apple download, one would seem to be SOL...
Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 PM

FYI, I'm running Mountain Lion with PT 9.0.6 on my 2011 Macbook Pro (with Apogee Duet and/or built-in audio), with no issues. So if you can only find ML, you might be ok anyway.

Good luck!

~peter in oakland
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 AM

Interesting. Anyone else having luck with 10.8 ML and PT 9.0.6? My system is HD with an original (non-Accel) core card, one HD Process card, and one Accel card.

I was planning to experimentally install the Lion 10.7 update on a separate drive anyway, to make sure I don't encounter any deal-breakers among my many apps. I suppose I could just go ahead and try 10.8 out that way and see...

Thoughts?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Spencer View Post
Interesting. Anyone else having luck with 10.8 ML and PT 9.0.6? My system is HD with an original (non-Accel) core card, one HD Process card, and one Accel card.

I was planning to experimentally install the Lion 10.7 update on a separate drive anyway, to make sure I don't encounter any deal-breakers among my many apps. I suppose I could just go ahead and try 10.8 out that way and see...

Thoughts?
I might be able to help you out.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Just FYI if you are thinking about going to Lion or ML just remember there are many compatibility factors to keep in mind... for one your will have to upgrade your plug-ins, any other software you have needs to be upgraded tp be compatible... If it is just a PT rig and you can afford to upgrade all the necessary plugins (most upgrades are not free) then go for it. Just wanted shed some light on "other" things that will be effected by an OS upgrade not just PT itself. However since its just an update and not a new OS you should be fine upgrading to Lion 10.7