Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2012, 11:00 PM

Default Audio is out of sync after rendering clip gain

First off, the stability of this update is great. Very few if any crashes here. I have a couple issues I've noticed that I've never seen before the update. The first is more of an annoyance but the second is more of an issue prepping sessions for earlier versions.

When consolidating a region, the waveform overview shifts about a sample to the left. This might only be apparent when zoomed in quite a bit. I usually consolidate an area where I want to redraw the waveform with the pencil tool so I'm usually zoomed in a lot when I do this.

The other issue, and this is a big one, is a problem with rendering clip gain on a global level. I'm kicking a Foley session to an editor that is on version 8 so after I'm finished with my edit I would select all clips and render the clip gain. But then I got the insufficient fade boundaries error, so I clicked the option to adjust the fade boundaries while crossing my fingers that it wouldn't effect much. It didn't just move fade boundaries but entire clips significantly, so rendering clip gain like this is absolutely out of the question for me.

Has anyone else had experiences with this behavior?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Issues with 10.2

I'm starting to notice something similar to this. Been cutting dialogue on 10 and passing it off to the mixer whose on 9. I render my clip gain and compact it before sending. There are at least a couple instances throughout a 22 minute show where it seems wrong clips are being referenced (my guess because rendering clip gain can create a lot of very similarly named clips) and he'll have the completely wrong audio. It's not as he can just pull up the missing clip from the AAF but it certainly is annoying and not very confidence inspiring when sending work out.

JR
Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 AM

This happened to me with an OMF yesterday--totally wrong audio in one side of several stereo pairs. The same OMF opened fine in several other apps....weird.

phil p
Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 AM

ooo, boy, this is not inspiring me to install 10.2 tomorrow....i have mission critical omf deliveries sometimes, and no time to have the other guy go thru the entire show looking for 'wrong audio!!!!! how can that actually happen? what kind of a lunatic programmer would mess with the OMF section of the code? it worked fine before.....
Old 06-25-2012, 07:20 PM

Wow, I must say that Avid has pleasantly surprised me and sent me an email confirmation that they have received my support request based solely on this post. Thanks Avid, you rock!

Just a thought as to what may benefit this issue regarding rendering clip gain globally throwing out sync due to insufficient fades; perhaps handles on rendered clip gain would help get around this? I know it would sure be helpful on my end at least. (Why can't everyone upgrade to version 10 already?)
Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 PM

+1 Handles on rendered clip gain would be great.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Wow, surprised about this problem, and also surprised there aren't handles rendered when rendering Clip Gain. To be honest, I've completely avoided rendering Clip Gain and for my workflows, and I think this might work for most workflows out there, I would suggest converting or coalescing Clip Gain to Volume Automation, therefore being backwards compatible with earlier versions of Pro Tools.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 AM

I guess a more accurate request would be *defined* handles. As it stands right now when you render clip gain it actually renders the entire file that the clip is a part of. So in my case when I render my entire session it balloons the audio files folder size. I then have to go and compact everything to have 3 second handles. Coalescing only works when you aren't turning clips up past 12dB and unfortunately for dialogue I'm often boosting levels beyond that. For fx editing coalescing works fine because I'm generally turning things down.

JR
Old 06-26-2012, 11:36 AM

JR, I'm curious how you were able to get the whole file to render and not just the edited clip(s). When I render, I can't pull out fades or region boundaries and the whole file isn't rendered, just the edited clip. My system is PT10 (non HD) running on a 003. Is it possible this rendering functions differently on an HD system?

I just tested it with Chris on his system at The Dub Stage and his rendered the whole file as well using an HD license on his laptop. I can definitely see where this could be problematic with disk space. We rendered two clips edited and crossfaded from the same whole file, both had the same clip gain level and it created two separate whole files after rendering them. On top of that, rendering the files threw out the sync on one of the clips.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:05 PM

I'm running HD Native so that must be it as I'm not doing anything special just selecting all my clips and selecting render clip gain from the contextual menu.