Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2004, 08:39 AM

Default ICON is the new control surface (nothing else)

Every one is making something new, Digidesign too: ICON, the new control surface.
It's nice, it's good? if you like it just buy it. But remember: IT'S A CONTROL SURFACE
Old 04-07-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: ICON is the new control surface (nothing else)

Really tho, ANY Digital Console is 'just a controller'. You think that any audio passes thru something like the Neve Capricorn or Sony Oxford? They are all just big controllers with lots of pretty buttons and LEDs, no real audio circuitry going on relatively to an SSL or something. Think of Protools like the brain of a digital console just like the racks and racks of DSP in a studios machine room that houses the meat of other Digital Consoles-- except that you can also record to protools. The ICON is a 'digital console', pretty much like any other when thought about it in that respect-- just alot more options for recording and DSP cuz of plugs and 3rd party apps.

Not that I have any use for anything other than a mouse and 4 faders.

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 04-07-2004, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Really tho, ANY Digital Console is 'just a controller'. You think that any audio passes thru something like the Neve Capricorn or Sony Oxford? They are all just big controllers with lots of pretty buttons and LEDs, no real audio circuitry going on relatively to an SSL or something. Think of Protools like the brain of a digital console just like the racks and racks of DSP in a studios machine room that houses the meat of other Digital Consoles-- except that you can also record to protools. The ICON is a 'digital console', pretty much like any other when thought about it in that respect-- just alot more options for recording and DSP cuz of plugs and 3rd party apps.

Not that I have any use for anything other than a mouse and 4 faders.

MT
-------------------------------------------------------------
I don't like much getting involved but I feel the need to chime in.
We have to go by the definition of a digital console and a digital controller.
Digital Console:
A Digital console handles digital audio signal, routing, processing, modifying, changing level (digitally), it also have analog to digital I/Os.
Digital controller:
A digital controller is nothing but an interface between the user and the Software or DAW, it does not have access to the audio being processed and the only analog audio interface is the monitor section.
I have to disagree with you regarding Neve Capricorn or Sony Oxford, they do have access to the digital audio and do affect it, EQ's, compressors and I/O are involved unlike the controllers.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:19 PM

Quote:
You think that any audio passes thru something like the Neve Capricorn or Sony Oxford?
I actually thought it did.

You mean it doesn't?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:28 AM

MAXIMUSIC,

I understand your point, but Im kind of looking at it as the TDM DSP hardware with the plugs attached function the same as the racks of DSP logic boards of a digital console.

Also, Im pretty sure that a console such as the Neve Capricorn itself (as in the physical surface) functions the same as a Digital Controller, i.e., its not passing any audio except the analog monitor section, just as ICON would do. When you plug something into "input 1" of a digital console, it is not going to the actual surface you touch. Its going to all the racks in some other room which houses all the DSP.

So my point was just that the ICON and a digital console SURFACE function the same way: a digital controller that tells racks of DSP (whether it be TDM hardware or DSP boards and routers what to do and where to put a signal). Its kind of like Protools is a digital console without the controller, and the introduction of the ICON fills that spot for a controller on the same level. Just as the other way around, you could operate the Capricorn with a mouse and a computer screen with no need for a surface.

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 04-10-2004, 10:14 AM

Hey take a look at this :
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...threadid=13915
An ICON killer ?
Old 04-10-2004, 11:57 AM

This argument Controller versus console is relatively meaningless, unless you are buying an entirely new system. If you are buying a new system, then the argument that this is an equivalent to another digital console is valid. However then you must figure in the number of faders necessary to compare to one of those systems, as well as the mic pres, and oh by the way the computer and pro tools hardware all of which are above the basic cost of the Icon.

If you already have Pro Tools with the interfaces etc then all you are buying IS the control surface. In that sense this product is really an upgraded version of a Pro Control. I went to a vendor last week and they told me that the cool thing about Digidesign is that they have an upgrade path for everything. I then asked him, do you mean that I have an upgrade path from a Control 24 or Pro Control to an Icon? Silence. There you go.

I see it as this: You have several price points of control surfaces offered from Digidesign.
Low end such as the Command 8, Lo mid (Control 24), Hi mid (Pro Control), and Hi end (Icon).
The only thing other than design refinements that distinguishes this item from a Pro Control is the XMon feature. Grace Design makes a top end Monitor Section that retails for $6K. Subtract that from the Icon basic unit and you have a very expensive Pro Control ($54K) versus $25K or so for a 16 channel Pro Control with Edit Pack. The integration with the Pro Tools hardware (which costs extra no matter what, is the same as on a Command 8 or a Control 24 or a Pro Control or for that matter on your mouse and keyboard.

This product is being very wisely marketed to high end facilities that need the wow factor to attract clients. It really is only offering refinements over much cheaper optioons, but it is offering big cosmetic improvements that can make the difference in the kind of clients you attract. And it probably works better than a Pro Control.

Now how about that upgrade path??
Old 04-18-2004, 04:45 PM

Quote:
MAXIMUSIC,

Also, Im pretty sure that a console such as the Neve Capricorn itself (as in the physical surface) functions the same as a Digital Controller, i.e., its not passing any audio except the analog monitor section, just as ICON would do.
I can confirm this the audio is all going through a BIG rack of stuff in a different room, the board is just a dedicated controler for the rack.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:47 PM

Uhh...Rob? Was that a joke?