Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2022, 07:45 AM

Default Macbook pro M1 pro or M1 Max for Pro Tools?

I am about to buy a laptop for Pro Tools.
Though I have heard so many bad reports about the Macbook Pro M1 Max.

So I was wondering would the 16" Macbook Pro m1 Pro with 32gb RAM be fine?
Old 06-30-2022, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Macbook pro M1 pro or M1 Max for Pro Tools?

what bad reports?
Old 06-30-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerochan View Post

Here is a video about M1Pro MBP the performance info starts about 2:00 in. Both Logic and Pro Tools

https://youtu.be/9P3Rc2jFYns

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 06-30-2022, 10:33 AM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerochan View Post

I've been running the MacBook Pro M1-Max for almost 2 months now (64GB). Everything I was doing on my 2019 Mac Pro is running smoothly on the laptop. It barely gets warm and is quiet enough to sit right beside me. And when I say quiet, I mean quiet enough to master classical music. If that's a bad report, then I don't know what a good report would be.

TBH, I've not seen a credible bad report on the M1-Max. The biggest difference between the Max and the Pro is the speed of the internal bus. That part of the system is what gets things around in memory and in and out of the system. If you're running a big track count or a lot of VIs, you're going to want the Max.

And I should point out that there's no general answer to the question of whether a particular system will work for Pro Tools. There are zillions of people who visit this page. Some of them mix major features on Pro Tools. Some create and mix scores. Some record local bands. Some are enthusiasts who mix stuff they do at home. Their needs are all quite different. What's great for one is serious overkill for someone else. The perfectly-adequate system for a small studio might not carry the load of a big facility.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
I've been running the MacBook Pro M1-Max for almost 2 months now (64GB). Everything I was doing on my 2019 Mac Pro is running smoothly on the laptop. It barely gets warm and is quiet enough to sit right beside me. And when I say quiet, I mean quiet enough to master classical music. If that's a bad report, then I don't know what a good report would be.

TBH, I've not seen a credible bad report on the M1-Max. The biggest difference between the Max and the Pro is the speed of the internal bus. That part of the system is what gets things around in memory and in and out of the system. If you're running a big track count or a lot of VIs, you're going to want the Max.

And I should point out that there's no general answer to the question of whether a particular system will work for Pro Tools. There are zillions of people who visit this page. Some of them mix major features on Pro Tools. Some create and mix scores. Some record local bands. Some are enthusiasts who mix stuff they do at home. Their needs are all quite different. What's great for one is serious overkill for someone else. The perfectly-adequate system for a small studio might not carry the load of a big facility.
Ha! Was reading through this response and feeling 'this response is very well put on the m1-max'. Look up to see who wrote it and had a good chuckle. Love the plugins Mr Carnes and couldn't have put it better about the M1-Max!