Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2006, 04:18 AM

Default The use of GT Player Express in Pro Tools?

First I must apologize for my greenhorn newbie approach in this question but after months of exhausting trial and error in the search for an answer it has become aparent that my own quest has repeatedly brought me back to the same dead end wall. Therefore, my question is: Is it possible to use GT player Express as a plugin to somehow record directly into my Pro Tools session? It's basically the only effects I have available at this time to use. It came bundled with the purchase of my M-Audio Fast Track Pro. I really enjoy using Pro Tools but it seems to me that the only possible way as far as I can tell is that I'm going to have to record the parts that I need with the effects from GT Player into Ableton Live first and then transfer them into Pro Tools at a later date. It seems a little redundant to me when I'd rather just record into Pro Tools. I've tried using Ableton as a rewire application but it won't allow me to use GT Player as an effect that way either. I think it has something to do with the ASIO Driver already being used by Pro Tools. I'm also assuming that Pro Tools does not work with VST's independently like that of GT Player With Ableton.

Thank you for any insight into this problem. I fear that the answer to my question will probably end up costing me more money in purchasing plugins to get me where I need to be.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Re: The use of GT Player Express in Pro Tools?

Quote:
Is it possible to use GT player Express as a plugin to somehow record directly into my Pro Tools session?
No, not directly.
Quote:
I'm also assuming that Pro Tools does not work with VST's independently like that of GT Player With Ableton.
That assumption is only half right. While you can't use it directly in Pro Tools as-is, you can purchase the FXPansion VST-RTAS adapter and convert the VST plugin to RTAS for use in Pro Tools. IMHO, this is a must have piece of software for Pro Tools, and I (and many others, including folks at Digidesign) highly recommend it.

It's worth every penny.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-19-2006, 04:11 AM

Default Re: The use of GT Player Express in Pro Tools?

Thank you for the reply. That's an interesting idea. I didn't know that conversion software was available for such a thing. I will definately check into it. Maybe a hint to my wife and she can make it a nice stocking stuffer for Christmas - Ha Ha.

Being new to PT since around March, I've been desparatly trying to re-record and re-mix all the music I've written over the past thirty years. At the same time, having the opportunity to come up with some new tunes along the way. It's been a great ride! But I have to say at this point I don't miss having to record from one tape deck to another back and forth - back and forth for hour after consuming hour - day after day. I don't miss it at all.

PT has become an essential part (of my journey anyway) that I just can't imagine doing without. I'm looking forward to many years of learning to use it and most of all having fun doing it.

Thanks again!