Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 PM

Default Mbox Pro Audio Output issues

So I installed the latest drivers for Mbox Pro prior to installing Pro Tools 10. However, my Mbox Pro will not send audio output to my monitors. Mbox Pro had no problem recording input to Pro Tools but playback was an issue.

I ran through the Setup menu and made sure of the following:

Setup>Playback Engine > Set to Mbox Pro

Setup>I/O>Output>>Built-in-Output 1-2 set for left on 1 and right on 2 (Made sure outs to monitors were from outputs 1 and 2)

There was no issue with playback when I set the audio outputs from ProTools 10 to the built in speakers on my MacBook Pro. So this has to be an issue between ProTools 10 and the Mbox Pro. ProTools obviously detects the Mbox Pro if it is located in these Setup menus and is able to record from each input.

This is where my experience is lacking and I have exhausted my efforts to pinpoint the problem.

Any ideas out there?

MacBook Pro
OS X Version 10.8.2
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Pro Tools 10
MBox 3 Pro
Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Mbox Pro Audio Output issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddDogg41510 View Post

Setup>I/O>Output>>Built-in-Output 1-2 set for left on 1 and right on 2 (Made sure outs to monitors were from outputs 1 and 2)
Hi,

Don't think it would show built in outputs if it was using the Mbox Pro? Built in means the computers outputs and not the mbox

Is the Mbox definitely set as the audio engine in playback engine settings. And it's not part of an aggregate device is it?

I would download and install the drivers again.

Load up a new session and reset the I/O setup and hardware setup to default and make sure Mbox is selected in the playback engine.

Insert the tone generator plugin and see if you get sound

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 AM

In the MBox pro system pref mixer make sure your mix outputs are set to 1-2 sometimes they switch for no reason to 3-4 after installing the driver.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 AM

All I had to do was follow the recommended optimizations for the OS X and and delete the Pro Tools databases. Once the databases were deleted I was able to hear playback.

Thanks crizdee and lancemcv for the advice. I followed your suggestions but was still having the same problem. So then I decided to use my one free Avid Support Order.

Here's what they said:

Delete your preferences and databases:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nd_Preferences

Check to see if this has resolved the issue. If not:

What do you have configured in the Mbox Pro's control panel? Make sure you have the output of the control panel set to the Stereo Mix you are using. Also check under Setup in the control panel in the output controls and if you have configured control room outputs make sure you have them configured to send audio to the 1-2 outs on the Mbox Pro.

Also your I/O setup sound like it's still reflecting the names of the Mac's audio hardware. This should be okay as long as this matches your current physical I/O but you may want to start with a new I/O setup and session just to make sure you I/O setup is good.

Launch Pro Tools and without a session open confirm that you have your Mbox Pro set as your current Current Playback Engine. In Pro Tools go to Setup>Playback Engine and look at the top of the Playback Engine dialog. There is a drop-down selector where you can select your Current Playback Engine. Make sure that this drop down is set to your Mbox Pro.

Go to Setups > I/O Setup > Inputs, delete all of the paths and click on the default button in the lower right of the window. You should repeat this on your outputs, inserts and sends tabs as well.

Look at the bottom of the I/O Setup dialog and make sure that the "Sessions overwrite current I/O setup when opened" is not selected.

Create a new empty session using the Stereo Mix selection for your I/O setup and the import some audio or use signal generator to see if the issue is resolved.